PDA

View Full Version : VIDA 2012 - Installation problem on W7 PRO

Metallo
11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to install VIDA on my old Pentium III with W7 Pro 32bit.
Obviously an old PC but it will run fine as this is the only program I will install.

I unpacked the VIDA 2012A ISO to a folder using MagicISO and went for the customized installation as I do not need DICE or Adobe.
The problem is that once the installation is finished I do not get any 'VIDA Running Status' icon at the bottom right and I just see the installation log files under C:/VIDA/System.

I also tried the "All in One' , however, the installation got stuck although everything seemed to be installed under C:VIDA.

I got to the point that I could not understand why getting these problems and I was about to burn a double layer but I do not see the difference, really.

Any suggestion on your end?
I also tried 2012B, same problem.
My PC has just been formatted and W7 is a clean installation.

Thanks
Alex

billr99
11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
I ran into the same problem you are having (except I was installing DiCE, etc as well) and found when installing 2012A on my old Dell (1.5gHz, 2G) that I had to get into the Registry and change the identified processor speed from 1.5 to 2 (actually I just went to 2.5). That was the only change I made and then the install went seamlessly. I'm assuming your old Pentium 3 is less than 2gHz, yes? Any road, give it a go and see if that helps. BTW, I did not have to do this when I installed 2010D on the same box with WinXP so it must be some check in the newer versions.

Cheers,

Bill

coflynn
11-23-2012, 05:38 AM
You might want to try just installing XP directly instead of Windows 7 to see if that works better.

-Colin

PS: Windows 7 Pro comes with 'Windows XP Mode'. XP mode is actually just a Virtual Machine (VM) running Windows XP. Download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Install VIDA onto that Windows XP Mode. Because XP Mode is a virtual machine, it is 100% separate from your main computer. Thus you never need to worry about VIDA screwing up your computer or vice-versa. Likewise when you want to upgrade to a newer version it's easy to blast away the VM & get it back to a virgin state.

However, I just noted you are only using the computer for VIDA. If you have a faster computer you might want to run it on, consider installing VIDA in a VM. You can "find" pre-made Windows XP images for VMWare Player. VMWare Player is 100% free (legally). Thus you can install your VIDA tools (which may be sketchy) onto this VM & not worry about messing up your computing, since they are effectively two completely separate systems.

Metallo
11-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I ran into the same problem you are having (except I was installing DiCE, etc as well) and found when installing 2012A on my old Dell (1.5gHz, 2G) that I had to get into the Registry and change the identified processor speed from 1.5 to 2 (actually I just went to 2.5). That was the only change I made and then the install went seamlessly. I'm assuming your old Pentium 3 is less than 2gHz, yes? Any road, give it a go and see if that helps. BTW, I did not have to do this when I installed 2010D on the same box with WinXP so it must be some check in the newer versions.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, my Pentium III is 1GHz, would you please point me to the registry key you changed? I'll give it a try for sure.

Thanks
Alex

Metallo
11-23-2012, 05:48 PM
You might want to try just installing XP directly instead of Windows 7 to see if that works better.

-Colin

PS: Windows 7 Pro comes with 'Windows XP Mode'. XP mode is actually just a Virtual Machine (VM) running Windows XP. Download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Install VIDA onto that Windows XP Mode. Because XP Mode is a virtual machine, it is 100% separate from your main computer. Thus you never need to worry about VIDA screwing up your computer or vice-versa. Likewise when you want to upgrade to a newer version it's easy to blast away the VM & get it back to a virgin state.

However, I just noted you are only using the computer for VIDA. If you have a faster computer you might want to run it on, consider installing VIDA in a VM. You can "find" pre-made Windows XP images for VMWare Player. VMWare Player is 100% free (legally). Thus you can install your VIDA tools (which may be sketchy) onto this VM & not worry about messing up your computing, since they are effectively two completely separate systems.

Colin,

I have already VIDA 2010D installed on VirtualBox and have no issues, I just want to change PC and have a dedicated one for VIDA and since I will only have this program installed on the PC, it will run fine with 1.5MB RAM, I just need to try the suggestion Bill proposed. Let's see.

Thank!
Alex

billr99
11-24-2012, 02:22 AM
Alex:

Go into Regedit and do a search for FriendlyName and HardwareID. You should find within the text string there your speed in text. Change it to 2.0 or higher. I think there is only one instance of these strings but scan the rest of the Registry and change them all. Do not reboot. Proceed to install VIDA. Hopefully, it will go. The installation will require a reboot anyway. After that reboot, rescan the Registry and put the text back to what it was originally and see how it goes. At least some of the strings change back upon a reboot as they must read the hardware, but as I recall I did have to change a few back myself. Probably makes no real difference but I didn't want to create any problems as a result of a mismatch.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Bill

Metallo
11-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Alex:

Go into Regedit and do a search for FriendlyName and HardwareID. You should find within the text string there your speed in text. Change it to 2.0 or higher. I think there is only one instance of these strings but scan the rest of the Registry and change them all. Do not reboot. Proceed to install VIDA. Hopefully, it will go. The installation will require a reboot anyway. After that reboot, rescan the Registry and put the text back to what it was originally and see how it goes. At least some of the strings change back upon a reboot as they must read the hardware, but as I recall I did have to change a few back myself. Probably makes no real difference but I didn't want to create any problems as a result of a mismatch.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Bill

Unfortunately there are hundreds of FriendlyName instances in W7 Pro and therefore it is impossible to check them all, it seems I cannot perform a search on the hardware registry part only.
HardwareID I found one (999), I changed it to 2500 but did not help and when I rebooted I found the value back to 999 and only the log files installed.
I also tried my older VIDA 2010D, exactly the same result: C:VIDA/SYSTEM/Logs and nothing more :(

Did you install using a double layer DVD or extracting the files to a folder in the PC as I did?

Thanks
Alex

billr99
11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry about that. Was trying to remember without actually referring to my notes. Try this instead HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\Cen tralProcessor\0\ProcessorNameString. This should be the only one requiring a change. Again, don't reboot before initiating the VIDA install.

Cheers,

Bill