PDA

View Full Version : Stiff ignition key, noise and only half electrics ?

setters
11-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Just filled my 54 reg XC70 Diesel auto with fuel.
Jumped in to set off and the key would not turn the ignition.
After some jiggling it turned stiffly and the engine fired up. Managed to leave the filling station but the electrics were not working properly. No indicators for example. Pulled up at work next door to the fuel stop. Moved the shift to Park. Strange loud whirring noise when moving thru the box and the engine appeared to stall and runs lumpy. It will start again but the key is stiff and still not full electrics [no lights but full beam flasher works, no heater fan but radio is ok] Dash said 'anti skid service required' for a while but this is off now.
Any ideas ???

billr99
11-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Just filled my 54 reg XC70 Diesel auto with fuel.
Jumped in to set off and the key would not turn the ignition.
After some jiggling it turned stiffly and the engine fired up. Managed to leave the filling station but the electrics were not working properly. No indicators for example. Pulled up at work next door to the fuel stop. Moved the shift to Park. Strange loud whirring noise when moving thru the box and the engine appeared to stall and runs lumpy. It will start again but the key is stiff and still not full electrics [no lights but full beam flasher works, no heater fan but radio is ok] Dash said 'anti skid service required' for a while but this is off now.
Any ideas ???

More than likely you need a new ignition switch (http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/25141/nm/Volvo_V70_Ignition_Switch_2000_2007_Genuine_Volvo_/category_id/199).

Good luck,

Bill

Astro14
11-18-2012, 08:05 AM
I know that a 54 registration means something on that side of pond....
But on this side, its meaning is lost...model year is more useful....

setters
11-19-2012, 12:55 AM
I know that a 54 registration means something on that side of pond....
But on this side, its meaning is lost...model year is more useful....

Sorry, comes from living on an island. 2004 model.
The ignition key, whenit finally turned, was stuck in the starting position and did not spring back. this caused all the electrical gremlins.
Lubricated the ignition barrel and all is now fine.