PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for dvd viewing

love_my_first_xc70
03-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Hi,

Next summer, I am planning on using my laptop computer on the back seat armrest so the kids can view dvd movies.  This will help them kill some time during the long trips.  The problem is that laptop's internal battery would only last an hour or so.

I was thinking of buying one of those "power inverters", that are sold at Canadian Tire for about $50.  These devices are pluged in the car's 12V power outlet, and convert to 110 AC.  

Does anyone know if these devices are safe for a laptop?  I was wondering if the voltage produced by these converters is safe for electronic equipment, such as a laptop.  I've heard that electronic equipment are very sensible to voltage fluctuation.

By the way, I would appreciate if anyone who has ever used a laptop to view dvd movies in the car would provide some details on how the laptop had been installed.  I would like to install the laptop on the armrest on the backseat, but I want the temporary installation to be safe, as well as comfortable for both kids.  I was thinking of using some velcro bands to secure the laptop to the armrest.

So any advise is welcome, pictures as well.

Thanks

littlewaywelt
03-09-2004, 07:13 AM
A quality dc-ac inverter should be fine for your laptop.
velcro strap-  While it would probably hold the laptop well enough that it doesn't fall down, it won't hold it in place in a crash when the laptop can be subjected to many g's of force.  Personally (and please note that I'm the paranoid type  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) I wouldn't want anything that might become a projectile in the passenger cabin with my kids.

nh01xc
03-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I have an APC brand (PC Connection (www.pcconnection.com) Part #: 233923 - $54.95)) inverter that I have used several times for this exact purpose.

"APC Travel Power plugs directly into your automobile cigarette lighter outlet, and uses the running vehicle's battery to power up your connected notebook computer. For airline travelers, APC Travel Power can be plugged into the in-flight seat connector, refueling your notebook as you head towards your destination."

I have positioned the laptop on top of the front armrest after it has been folded backwards (towards the back seat) 180 (+/-) degrees. I support it with a cut-to-size piece of a swimming pool "noodle" (foam tube that kids play w/ in water). You could use anything you wanted to support the inverted armrest. I use a small couch pillow to act as a temporary armrest for front passengers (actually more comfortable).

The nice part is that the power outlet is right below the [inverted] armrest on the back of the front center console.

I have a splitter (jack) for the sound output so that the laptop supports 2 sets of headphones. The headphones have in-line volume controls so each kid can control their own.

Has worked well on several occasions.

With regards to the projectile issue:

The laptop spans the space between the two front seats and its placement is relatively low in the vehicle. In a sudden stop, it would be forced against the back of the front seats (which is where it is positioned to start with). You could certainly get creative with temporarily securing the laptop to the nets on the back of the front seats, etc. if you felt the need.

I guess if you were in a violent roll over then it would be dislodged and could be an issue.

This car, and the driving style employed when fully loaded with family, results in an extremely low probability of a catastrophic roll-over.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

John http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

AWD*V70XC
03-09-2004, 12:14 PM
For the sake of my £1500 laptop toy/business tool I would buy a proper 12v dvd player (£300) and position in the correct format as per the makers design then I would not have to worry about getting the laptop repaired if anything happened. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

There are various threads on the board about car dvd players, that's my view for what it is worth. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

nh01xc
03-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I think the laptop solution works well if you only want the DVD system on an exception basis (i.e. on long trips).  I am philosophically opposed to full-time entertainment systems in the car; I would much rather the kids get a little bored, then get creative, or maybe even have all of us talk to each other!  But on a long trip, I can go along with it.

Also the screen is twice as big (15(+) in. vs. 7 in. for permanently installed types), and w/ video display; size DOES matter, and bigger IS better.

Also for people leasing (like me), a permanent install is not advisable/allowable.

For some people it may be the way to go?

AWD*V70XC
03-09-2004, 03:19 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nh01xc @ Mar. 09 2004,21:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also for people leasing (like me), a permanent install is not advisable/allowable.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
A portable dvd player is just that, most have 3 power sources, ac/dc/12v so it can be used at the end of the journey in the house/hotel just to keep the little blighters quite for a little bit longer.

It is all very well saying, talk to them and let them look around but for my two rascals, they were too young to have a conversation with and too small to look out the side/any windows so if it wasn&#39;t flying by they had no chance to see it. With all the above it is very hard to keep very young/small ones contented.

We got a portable machine for just such times, and at the other end if the weather is not OK to take young ones out in you can set up the player and have some rest.

It is very suprising how many times they will watch the same film/etc over and over again. They wore out the Lion King until the sound and vision was not there.

Now they are older they are quite happy to watch nature programs like Nat Geo so in my terms that is educational and allows me to concentrate on the road.

In the UK, damaged laptop screens are not covered by warranty but juice on the keyboard is.

At the end of the day it is pros &amp; cons, when I was that age all I could do was go to sleep http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sleeping.gif or count telegraph poles as they whizzed by and follow the wire up and down. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/crazy.gif

Art
03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Here (http://www.autoseattle.com/DVD_mobile_video.htm) are a couple of mounting options if one were to decide to go with a portable DVD player. I realize it&#39;s probably not the answer to the original laptop quiery but nonethess worth considering. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I even see there is a Kwik Klip bracket available for the V70.

love_my_first_xc70
03-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi John (nh01xc),

Thanks for your answer. &nbsp;I figured that I was not the only one in the world having this &quot;idea&quot;.

Although a portable dvd player is probably the most logical approach, the laptop seems to be the most economical approach (at least for me). &nbsp;And the 15 inch screen is also quite tempting...

I tried installing it as you suggested, on the folded front armrest, and it works, although it does not seem to be very stable. &nbsp;I will have to think a bit on how to secure it properly. &nbsp;I also tried to put it on the folded backseat armrest; it is definitely more stable, but then it seems too close to view the movie properly.

I like your &quot;splitter&quot; approach for the headphones. &nbsp;You are definitely used to travel with kids... &nbsp;My laptop is a 15 inch Dell, so it will definitely take a fair amount of place between the kids. &nbsp;Since the headphone jack is on the left side, I will have to think of something to make sure the kids don&#39;t hit it with their knees.

Anyway, my original concern was realy to make sure the DC-AC power inverter would not hurt my laptop. &nbsp;Now that I know that it is OK, I will find a way to install it properly.

Thanks again.

love_my_first_xc70
03-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Another thing I am wondering John (nh01xc),

I know portable CD players have anti-skip features so the music does not jump all the time.
I don&#39;t think DVD player on laptops have this type of feature.

Does the DVD movie play properly on your laptop when you are on a road with uneven pavement?

Thanks again. &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/music.gif

nh01xc
03-10-2004, 05:50 AM
love_my...,

My laptop (Toshiba Portege) is contained in a padded, leather, wrap-around cover and when open, the top half folds back on itself providing a cushioned, non-slip &quot;platform&quot;.

Hadn&#39;t thought about it before but this probably helps tremendously in making the &quot;install&quot; simple and effective.

I have never heard skipping complaints from the rear (if they were there, I would probably have heard about it). &nbsp;This may be due to the padded platform.

The viewing angle on the rear armrest was NG, and that is why I turned my attention to the front. &nbsp;It also keeps the computer away from kids, juice, snacks, etc.

Seems like a piece of dense foam rubber (carpet padding?)under the laptop would provide the same type of non-slip, shock-absorbing platform that I have. &nbsp;Then support the armrest from underneath, secure it if you feel the need, and you s/b all set.

Happy Trails...

gibbons
03-10-2004, 06:14 AM
We have done the laptop trick for movie watching. &nbsp;But we had 3 kids, and there were no 3 way splitters. &nbsp;So I bought this little FM modulator gizmo that plugs into the headphone jack, and broadcasts the signal at 88.1 Mhz (other frequencies are selectable). &nbsp;We tuned the radio to that frequency, and played sound though the stereo. &nbsp;My kids are older, so we played mostly All In The Family DVDs, where the soundtrack is really the important part anyway. &nbsp;So, the driver and front seat person could listen along too. &nbsp;Works pretty well.

love_my_first_xc70
03-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Gibbons,

Could you provide some details about your FM modulator? &nbsp;It seems a very interesting idea, so I would appreciate if you could provide part number and an estimated price.

Also, could you provide how you had done your set up for DVD viewing? &nbsp;&quot;Where&quot; and &quot;How&quot; was your laptop installed?
Did the DVD movies &quot;skip&quot; on roads with uneven pavement?

Did you buy a DC-AC power converter to plug in the 12V outlet? &nbsp;Is it safe for your laptop?

Thanks again&#33;

Any additional idea on this subject is more than welcome.

gibbons
03-10-2004, 05:13 PM
I am out of town and don&#39;t have the unit with me, but they sell them at Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, Fry&#39;s, etc. &nbsp;It was about &#036;25. &nbsp;I guess the most popular use is to hook them up to a portable CD to play through the car stereo.

We just had the kid in the middle seat hold the PC on his lap, and all three could see it. &nbsp;It isn&#39;t any heavier than their chemistry or calculus books they regularly use while driving when considering the projectile potential.

The DVD never skipped.

My PC is a Dell Latitude, and I have two batteries so we get 3-4 hours, which is too long in my opinion. &nbsp;Driving is good family building talk time. &nbsp;Anyway, I recall a Dell 12v source for the PC, and I had one for my old Gateway. &nbsp;It just goes DC-DC with no inverter stuff. &nbsp;I wouldn&#39;t risk a cheap inverter, plus that would be a lot of wires and stuff to pack around.

mhoy
03-11-2004, 07:26 PM
I purchased a Dell approved 12 car adapter for my Inspiron 5000e. Never used it (yet). &nbsp;If I remember correctly it was about &#036;100 and is a great size if you travel alot and space/weight is important. If I was to do it again, I&#39;d go with a quality inverter since it can be used for other things.

dcawd
03-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Like nhxc01, I use a laptop dvd on long trips--cost effective, and you get a much larger screen. I have a V70 AWD, which came with a flip-out table that is built into the middle position of the lower seat cushion. FYI, on April 6 03, there was a discussion of this table in a thread started by Allwheeldriver who had got one of these for his XC70 (sorry I haven&#39;t figured out how to cross-link threads). At any rate, I bungee the laptop to the table with two bungee cords. Given the layout of the table when open, the laptop sits back securely against the cupholder part.

Re output, I usually play the movie through the car speakers. I tried the FM modulator ( Radio Shack had two, one by Belkin, one by someone else) for &#036;25-35. However, I found there was too much interference and static with the Belkin one, so switched to an adapter that plugs into the cassette deck (you might have to fiddle a bit with the wire that comes out of the mock cassette to get it to accept it). I read last night in the latest issue of PC World that Belkin has come out with a new &#036;50 model that uses more frequencies, that may be better than the one I tried. FYI radio shack also sells splitters for the headphones.

Re power, I thought about the inverter (more flexible since it can take all sorts of gadgets). but bec. I did not have time to consult the Forum, played it safe and got an OEM power brick for the laptop which plugs into the 12v outlet.

love_my_first_xc70
03-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks dcawd

I found the thread, but could not view the picture supplied by Allwheeldriver. &nbsp;I don&#39;t know where to view it from.

Anyhow, based on all the answers I got from everyone, I will definitely go ahead and bring the laptop this summer. &nbsp;I will try an FM modulator and see if the results are acceptable. &nbsp;They have 2 models at Future Shop, I don&#39;t remember the brands, but it is not Belkin.

Fot the power supply, I will probably go with a DC/AC inverter. &nbsp;I talked to a couple of peolpe who have done it and they did not have any problem.

So, we are now waiting for the summer. &nbsp;Although it&#39;s coming up, we&#39;re not there yet. &nbsp;We are still skiing...

Cheers

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif