PDA

View Full Version : Ticking from the top end

tnduc
11-09-2012, 05:45 AM
I just had my timing belt and cam seals replaced. When I got home I noticed a high speed ticking on the top end that I did not notice before. Is this normal? Car is a 2002 V70XC.

guyeye
11-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Do you mean; from the top of your engine? Or the top end of your RPM's? How many miles on the clock?

tnduc
11-09-2012, 06:13 AM
Do you mean; from the top of your engine? Or the top end of your RPM's? How many miles on the clock?

From the top of the motor, car has 241k miles. Never noticed it until after having the work done.

MacNoob
11-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Hard to diagnose noises just by description. The Volvo I5 is a pretty ticky clacky engine at the best of times.

guyeye
11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
The reason I ask is, mine has done the same thing since I bought it a year ago. I suspect it's noisy lifters. Type "Lifters" into the forum search. Looks like it could either be them, or a small exhaust manifold gasket leak that goes away after the engine warms up and seals it. If it continues to click at idle after warm up, it's probably the hydraulic lifters (could be them if it doesn't, but it's probably not the exh. gasket). In my searching, I've found two possible solutions: A faulty o-ring on the oil return line inside the oil pan could need replacing. OR just use some sort of Lucas oil additive. I personally care about my car too much to use an additive and would want to find the real problem. I'll probably be checking out that o-ring sometime soon- sounds like a fairly common problem up over 80k miles.
I don't have any experience with fixing this, though. So, if someone else who has would chime in, that would be great!

tnduc
11-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Took it back to the dealer, and yes it is normal for the lifters to click like that. Putting the new cam seals in is keeping the oil pressure in there where it should be.

guyeye
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Good to know!
Funny how I'm always answering questions with an additional question.