PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 2007 XC 70. . .

DennisM
11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, we just picked up our 2007 xc70. Drove down to PA to pick it up (from Maine).

First impressions, nice car. Running 70-80mph, we averaged 24.3MPG. Not too bad. I did notice during pre-purchase exam, it was soon to need front brakes. They have a little ways to go, but, when compared to the rear pads, and rotors which are pretty new, they took off an extra $250. Since I do my own brake work, I was good with that. I will have to look into a source for good rotors, and maybe ceramic pads. I would happily accept suggestions.

The only other thing I noticed, which was long on the way home, is that the temp on the passenger side has to be turned up significantly higher, to equal the temp on the drivers side, at least with holding your hand over each of the center vents. To get them to "feel" about the same, I set the temps to; 70 drivers and 78 on passenger side. Is this typical? Is there a fix?

The car rode great, handled great, and has excellent acceleration. I am quite pleased. Oh, and it is a very nice looking car as well. I shot a couple pics that I will post when I get my camera downloaded.

The next thing to do after brakes is a tune up, and oil change to synthetic. The oil looks fresh, but I would like to be sure it has synthetic before winter. There isn't much to a tune up, and I have to do the Mini Cooper as swell, so might as well do them at the same time.

Thanks Jim for your input. Sorry there wasn't the right car available at the right time. Close though on the red one, real close. That was a pretty car indeed.

Cheers,
Dennis

JRL
11-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Akebono Euro ceramic pads on stock Volvo rotors. That XC had low miles, rotors are probably OK (unless they feel bad).
Pads are like $65 for the fronts
I have that set up and barely to no brake dust whatsoever.
Stops like Volvo pads stop (good)

Have the ECC re-calibrated at the dealer, you may luck out on that.

DennisM
11-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks, I'll look into that. A re-cal. may do it. It does adjust, but it is just a bit off from where it should be.

The Akebono pads look good and have good reviews. I just put Zimmerman's coated rotors on the Cooper, as that should help with rust from our winter roads. If I need rotors, I may go with them for the XC. They are OEM on BMW's so maybe they are an OEM for Volvos a well. The rears look like they have the same coating, and the rotors look new. With the price of rotors these days, it almost seems better to just do it with the pads, than to have them warp half way through a set of pads, then have to do both of them. Especially if you do the work yourself, and you are already saving a couple hundred bucks.

Pelican parts is a great resource for BMW's and Mini's. What is a good on-line parts supplier for the XC's?

GoVolvoParts.com
11-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that. A re-cal. may do it. It does adjust, but it is just a bit off from where it should be.

The Akebono pads look good and have good reviews. I just put Zimmerman's coated rotors on the Cooper, as that should help with rust from our winter roads. If I need rotors, I may go with them for the XC. They are OEM on BMW's so maybe they are an OEM for Volvos a well. The rears look like they have the same coating, and the rotors look new. With the price of rotors these days, it almost seems better to just do it with the pads, than to have them warp half way through a set of pads, then have to do both of them. Especially if you do the work yourself, and you are already saving a couple hundred bucks.

Pelican parts is a great resource for BMW's and Mini's. What is a good on-line parts supplier for the XC's?

Please try our site. www.govolvoparts.com We offer good prices and low shipping costs.[thumbup]

Thanks,
Luis

DennisM
11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks Luis, I'll check it out.

Question on the Akebono ceramic pads. Do they come with any replacement hardware, i.e. retainer clips or rattle clips? I'm not sure what accessory hardware the Volvo uses in their pad/caliper set-ups.

Quick edit:

For a tune up, is there any real reason to replace coil packs on these cars at any time, if you are not having issues? Are they a Good vs No Good item, or a Good vs Going vs Gone kind of thing?

JRL
11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
You don't need to replace the coils until one starts to give you trouble, then you can decide to replace one or all.
For the most part, I've had good luck with coils. I think I've replaced all of 3 coils in all the cars I've had.

Spark plugs (OEM VOLVO) is a good idea
Air filter
Cabin filter
Change the Haldex fluid
Might be a good idea now to do a series of transmission drain and fills with 3309 until clean
Fuel filter at 90-100K
Adjust E brakes if they don't fully hold at halfway up.
Test and inspect the spring seats and breather (email me or call and I'll tell you how).
I'm assuming you're switching over to synthetic, right?

As for the brakes I don't remember, probably not, but all my existing parts were fine and I had many more miles on mine than you do now.
You will like the pads. They stop and feel essentially the same as OEM pads (after they're scrubbed in for 100 or so miles) but with hardly any dust whatsoever

Leto Atreides II
11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
They do not come with anything other than the pads. Everything else you just re-use from what's on there already.

Leto Atreides II
11-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh, and I bought my Akebonos from Amazon -- they ended up having the lowest price at the time I was looking.

DennisM
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys,

Dan at FCP is putting a total package together for me. I'll see how that comes out. In the mean time, I need to research the process for the transmission fluid change. I have a feeling it isn't as straight forward as an old Turbo Hydromatic 350 from an old Chevy.

Synthetic? Yes Definately. I run it in my Diesel Ram and even run synthetic in my John Deere tractor. (Valvoline Premium Blue for Diesels) Castrol GTX for the Mini and Volvo.

Fuel filter, I'll just go ahead and get it done now.

Yup, I have read a bit on plugs, and OEM Volvo looks to be the best for a stock XC.

Is there a good service manual for these cars? I'm not impressed with the Bentley manual on the Mini. What about an OEM service manual? Are they available?

The Haldex fluid? Would that be the same thing as a transfer case I am guessing?

I have to pop out the old cabin air filter and see what size it is, then I'll get that ordered as well.

Thanks,
Dennis

DennisM
11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys,

Dan at FCP is putting a total package together for me. I'll see how that comes out. In the mean time, I need to research the process for the transmission fluid change. I have a feeling it isn't as straight forward as an old Turbo Hydromatic 350 from an old Chevy.

Synthetic? Yes Definately. I run it in my Diesel Ram and even run synthetic in my John Deere tractor. (Valvoline Premium Blue for Diesels) Castrol GTX for the Mini and Volvo.

Fuel filter, I'll just go ahead and get it done now.

Yup, I have read a bit on plugs, and OEM Volvo looks to be the best for a stock XC.

Is there a good service manual for these cars? I'm not impressed with the Bentley manual on the Mini. What about an OEM service manual? Are they available?

The Haldex fluid? Would that be the same thing as a transfer case I am guessing?

I have to pop out the old cabin air filter and see what size it is, then I'll get that ordered as well.

Thanks,
Dennis

DennisM
11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Found a link to the Gibbons method. I'll check it out later. The FAQ thread is pretty good at covering a lot of info. Good idea.

JRL
11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
It works fine (Gibbons)
Haldax and angle gear are different fluids