PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler hose seal and o-ring sources

mapper
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Did a Gibbons trans flush and found out the seals I bought was not what I needed to replace the o-rings on the hoses where they enter the trans cooler. Anyone know where to get replacements?

Also, the seal at the transminssion for the return line (lower hose) seems to be seeping. Anyone have a part number/source for that?

Thanks

perkinscl
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
I bought mine from the dealer, both the green clips and the O-rings. The Volvo part # for the O-ring is 988840, $4.05/each. Mine looked good (60Kmiles), so I didn't end up swapping them.

Astro14
10-30-2012, 04:11 PM
NEVER re-use o-rings...unless you want leaks...

Cheapest is IPD, if you're already ordering something else...otherwise, I get mine from the dealer...while I don't have a PN for the lower hose, it's an o-ring too...and the dealer will have that one.

It's probably leaking because somebody thought it looked OK and re-used it...

;-)

mapper
10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I bought mine from the dealer, both the green clips and the O-rings. The Volvo part # for the O-ring is 988840, $4.05/each. Mine looked good (60Kmiles), so I didn't end up swapping them.

Yeah, that sounds about right, bold. What the F#@% is wrong with Volvo?

Not trying to kill the messenger. I much appreciate the information.

Astro14
10-31-2012, 10:33 AM
So buy a few in advance of your anticipated flush and get them online where they're $1.50...lump the order in with other parts so you don't pay the shipping...

Or, if you've failed to plan, go pay $4 each for 4 o-rings...or take a chance on leaks...what are the odds that your S.O. who is driving the car, will notice a trans leak?

mapper
10-31-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought I bought them in advance from eeuro but it was a wrong part. I can't find the right part at eeuro. I don't know if there is another online source. I suppose I should check ipd, still getting the hang of this Volvo thing. The leak is minimal just enough to get the lower engine cowl grimey.

Sorry, but I think $4 for a tiny o-ring is utterly insane. If I can find a generic match at the autoparts store it will cost about $0.25. Now let me start on ATF fluid; I got my type t-IV trans fluid for $6/qt at Toyota compared to nearly $30/qt for the same stuff from Volvo, also insane. With prices like that I can only assume Volvo doesn't want you to properly maintain your car. I guess they deserve the recent reputation they have received for crap reliability and subsequent bargain resale prices. Feel bad for the the folks who buy these cars new and eat that depreciation.

mapper
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
IPD does have the o-rings, hoses, clips etc. They even have a kit with new clips and o-rings for both ends of the hose.

kit
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5777/114086-automatic-transmission-cooler-oil-hose-seal-kit-1999

o-rings $1 apiece
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5716/110827-transmission-cooler-oil-hose-o-ring