PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have pics / experience with stock V70 front struts and springs on XC?

sikbrik
10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi All,

I've got some low mileage S60awd springs/shocks for the rear and I was thinking about just using stock V70 shocks/springs up front. However the IPD sites compares the xc strut to the fwd strut and says that alone will lower the car 1.5". That's too much for me, if the spring drops it even more. I've also read that the V70 strut messes up camber settings. So is it more advisable to just use a V70 spring on an XC70 strut and, if so, what can I expect for the ride height? I'm hoping the rear drops about 1 to 1.5" so I'd prefer about the same drop or slightly less up front.

I read the lowering threads...not much info on using stock parts.

Thanks for any pics or info.

Mike

sikbrik
10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Also, do I stick with XC lower control arms or V70 or are they the same? Thanks!

Astro14
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
XC and FWD control arms are different. I would stick with XC on control arms...and while I've put struts on both models, I've never compared them side by side...

sikbrik
10-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks, Astro. That's helpful info.

It makes me wonder, then, if lowering the front even 1.5" is going to change the geometry to the point where I'd want to use the FWD/AWD parts (apparently the AWD uses the same as the FWD but the XC is different...odd.) This makes me think the control arm helps to accommodate the longer XC strut and taller spring / raised height. If I were to use, say, the S60awd struts/springs up front then I'd probably want the S60awd lower control arms, too...at least my possibly flawed logic tells me so. Then it makes me wonder if the XC axles are longer to accommodate the increased XC ride height. This could become a mess but I don't really want to leave it at stock height. and at nearly 160k and many more to go, it's not going to hurt to put a bunch of new parts under there. Hmmm...