PDA

View Full Version : 02 V70XC Right Front Axle Shaft Carrier Bearing DIY?

swimNdrive
10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
My RF axle shaft (4 in the attached diagram) is still a very good one. The only problem is the carrier bear making a little noise when it turns. The axle is still functioning very well. It is a Volvo OE part. Both boots are in very good shape and no play on any other parts. I would like to replace the carrier bearing if I could. I know people may tell me to buy a replacement axle and there few cheap ones out there. However, I prefer to repair this one if I could. I prefer to stay away from the aftermarket axle if I could help it. I have read many negative posts about them on several forums.

Searching on the net, this bearing is no where can be found. I went to my local dealer, they told me they don't sell the bearing separately and I have to buy the whole axle at $600. They don't know the part number nor do they know anything about the specs of this bearing. I called Raxles and talked to Marty about rebuilding my axle or buy a rebuild from him. He told me he doesn't do anything newer than 1998.

Does anyone have information on this bearing? On the bearing, I can tell it was made in Poland. Here are the numbers on the bearing: 114-879BTNG2KS350. I hope I can get the information on the specs. If someone knows where to buy this bear that will be great. Thanks

billr99
10-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Your dealer is right if they are looking at VIDA. VIDA only shows the carrier and not the bearing which is shown on the right-side halfshaft. However, is this what you are after?

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?Volvo/2002/V70/X*C/2.4L_L5/allB/Driveline_and_Axles/CV_Components/CV_Axle_Shaft_Carrier_Bearing/pagenum1/tabS (picture only shows the carrier but the description indicates a bearing)

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-axle-bearing-carrier-front-right-genuine-volvo-30711363 (PN in VIDA shown as a "bearing anchorage")

Considering the lack of clarity between the pictures and the description, it might be worth a call to determine what you might be getting. I would hope for the price they are asking for these bits you'd get more than just a couple of hunks of metal and that an actual bearing would be included.

Cheers,

Bill

dpaton
10-25-2012, 07:58 AM
No one seems to stock or sell that exact replacement bearing due to width (19 vs 16 mm) but since there is no side load and it is captive due to the carrier edges and circlip (depending on Volvo axles or not), I used:

SKF 6009-2RS1/HT51 Bearing 60092RS1HT51

If you are concerned about it then you could make a 3mm shim.

swimNdrive
10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the information. It looks like the size for this bearing is 45mm x 75mm x 16mm based on SKF's website. They don't have a 45mm x 75mm x 19mm. The width I measured off the bearing is about 18.8mm. As you said, I will need a width of 19mm or shim it. You are right, this is a hard to find size. I went to several website which specialized in bearing and guess what, they don't have it! It must be out there, I think. If someone can rebuild the axle, they must have source for this bearing.

I guess I can make a doughnut shape 3mm shim plate. Just wondering, after installing this smaller bearing, how the ride feels, such as vibration and noise?

dpaton
10-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I have no shim and my bearing whine is gone for ~40K. My Chi replacement (DSS) had the correct width but a 6009 designation on the seal which is wrong as I found out. I spent hours all over the net and my local bearing guys with no luck.

billr99
10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Instead of SKF, what about other bearing makers like Timken, NTN, etc.?

Good luck,

Bill

swimNdrive
10-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Instead of SKF, what about other bearing makers like Timken, NTN, etc.?

Good luck,

Bill

It looks like This is not a standard product for the major bearing guys. Google the size yields nothing.

billr99
10-26-2012, 05:23 AM
It looks like This is not a standard product for the major bearing guys. Google the size yields nothing.

Timken has a .pdf catalog on their site. Takes a bit of study but I can't believe that this bearing is a unique one. Its too much of a pedestrian application to demand a totally off-the wall engineering effort.

BTW, a Google search will not reveal any entries in a .PDF so if a bearing maker is only listing their products that way, you won't find them.

Good luck,

Bill

swimNdrive
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Timken has a .pdf catalog on their site. Takes a bit of study but I can't believe that this bearing is a unique one. Its too much of a pedestrian application to demand a totally off-the wall engineering effort.

BTW, a Google search will not reveal any entries in a .PDF so if a bearing maker is only listing their products that way, you won't find them.

Good luck,

Bill

No luck, I waste a lot of time looking at Timken's catalog last night and could not find this bearing. There is no easy way to search the size for the bear with this pdf file. However, I think I went over the whole thing and I think I know they don't have it on this catalog. I was on NTN website and tried to get information on this bearing as well, however, they just don't have this size. There are several bearing seller on the net and they have a size searching engine. None of they has this size. The closest are 45x75x16 or 45x85x19. I have to say this size is a custom size or we got the size wrong. There is a good reason Marty at Raxle is no longer selling the rebuild axles for 98 and newer. This may be one of them. There got to be a way to get this bearing. I will try to talk to a local machine shop owner and see what he says.

xcdriver902
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
SKF has a roller bearing 1410412009

http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalogue/Forwarder?action=PPP&lang=en&imperial=false&windowName=null&perfid=141041&prodid=1410412009

Would that work?

swimNdrive
10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
SKF has a roller bearing 1410412009

http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalogue/Forwarder?action=PPP&lang=en&imperial=false&windowName=null&perfid=141041&prodid=1410412009

Would that work?

This one looks like the right size, but it doesn't look like it is sealed. I search on the net and could not find a retailer for this one either. This is a cylindrical roller bearing which is a very expensive kind. Similar size listed $250-$600 on the net.

lookforjoe
05-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Volvo Part Number 9181693. Febest 45x75x19 - on Amazon about $75. Same part used on on V70/850 AWD right axle. 3520570 is the lock collar.