PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressures

picklehead
07-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I decided to change the pressures in my tires to the 35 psi front and 38 psi rear ( per the door sill statement ) since I was going on an extended trip with the mountaineer luggage carrier attached. The dealer sent the car to me with 32 psi all around. I have just reduced the pressures to 35 psi all around and I am very pleased with the results. The car is much easier to drive in this configuration with the higher pressure in the rears, I found the car "hopping" all over the place. I might even try going back to the 32 psi that the car was delivered with, the car is much more pleasant to drive in its current configuration. Just some out loud musing for those of us with too much time on our hands.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

JRL
07-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Try 30lbs. all around (empty, 2 people) Dealer has told me on many occations that this is OK and I've put over 70K miles on 2 XC's with no tire problems and very even tire wear (over 30K on tires, very evenly worn.
These cars are very sensitive to tire pressure and I've found that Volvos ride much better on minimum pressures.
No hopping around and a much nicer ride.
If you load up, put the rears at 32-33 max.
The secret is to rotate them every oil change
JRL

kersti
07-20-2003, 09:16 AM
My car was delivered with 36.5 on 3 tires and 35.5 on one rear tire. Usually one or two persons in car. Should I reduce to 32?

Kersti

barrysharp
07-20-2003, 10:11 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kersti @ July 20 2003,09:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My car was delivered with 36.5 on 3 tires and 35.5 on one rear tire. Usually one or two persons in car. Should I reduce to 32?

Kersti[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Tire pressures can havea dramatic effect on comfort and car handling. It&#39;s best to experiment some. You could try the 32 psi for a week or two to see how you like it and then switch back etc.

I do believe it&#39;s appropriate to experiment with the tire pressure within some limits.

kersti
07-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks Barry, I will lower the pressures and see how the ride is.

Kersti

Hiro's XC
07-23-2003, 11:10 AM
It depends on the tires. The old ST tire will be fine at the lower 30lb range but the new STR should be run higher IMO. Having driver both the newer tire needs the higher pressure. My Nokians need 36 front 34 rear to handel correctly. The rear goes to 36 when really loaded. If I don&#39;t they handel like kah-kah.

Jason