PDA

View Full Version : Selling the 09....need advise

AlanS
10-19-2012, 03:59 PM
So... I own a 2009 XC70...getting 18.5 mpg on average (city and highway) with a light foot and conservative driving. This is unacceptable to me, given my wallet and rising prices.
Would a move to the FWD (3.2 engine), V70 (2007/8) make that much of a difference? I recently purchased the car, and am getting (gotten) very anxious about living with a low mpg automobile. I am willing to trade it back to the dealer, but didn't want to get raped! So, I went to the Dealer. They are willing to work with me...(not rape, but heavy molestation!). Service manager, just chatting with him while I was waiting, said that my recent long drive, getting 18.8mpg was 'average' and not surprising. He said that many people come in asking for the car to be reviewed, thinking that the 'normal' low mpg is a problem.
If I traded it in, I would take about a $2.5K loss giving the car back to them . They suggest (And I ask you all) that I get a FWD xc70 or a V70 (circa 2008). Both could be had. What do you think?
And I know...I should have known better about the mpg, but the damage is done, I just want to stop the bleeding and go on with my life.

Supa
10-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Why don't you go with an Outback then?

It's hard to know your priorities based on what you've written. Even though you made it clear that mpg is high on your list, what about safety? Do you even need a wagon in your life? And the million and one questions a buyer asks before making the second largest purchase in their lifetime. Sounds like you need to do a lot more research in addition to this forum to arrive at the perfect car for you. Otherwise you'll be disappointed again.

ssicarman
10-21-2012, 10:50 AM
2500 dollar hit on trading to another car would buy a lot of gas.
Have you checked the fuel consumption ratings for your XC70 compared to a V70? There may not be enough of a difference to make it worthwhile.

netpres1
10-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Beat me to it !

How many miles do you do each year?
What is the cost of fuel where you are?

JRL
10-22-2012, 06:13 AM
You will never make up the gas difference unless you plan to drive your "new car" for 6-7 years and by then there will be many cars that will be getting 50 MPG!

(and it's adviCe not adviSe)
You want advice, you advise someone

AlanS
10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
You will never make up the gas difference unless you plan to drive your "new car" for 6-7 years and by then there will be many cars that will be getting 50 MPG!

(and it's adviCe not adviSe)
You want advice, you advise someone Silly me...glad you could advice me with some advise. My grammar is usually pretty good. Anyways: Had planned on keeping this car a long time. My current 850 is 17 years old! Giving that to my son.

ingemar Carlsson
10-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Alan, Yes I'm bumming on the mpg thing also. I was going to trade our 010 xc for the 012 VW Passat TDI sedan 45MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (No wagons in states too bad in Europe there coming out with a crosscountry like wagon) But my girlfriend drove her daughters passat wagon and thought it felt like rubbish. But this is not 45mpg Passat sedan made in US. Check it out it has better clearance. Again Too fing bad Volv wont give us our diesel xc70 awd.............

ingemar Carlsson
10-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Jrl, what do the stick and automatic 04-07 V70 Rs get for mileage.? Thank you

Horrorview
11-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Why don't you go with an Outback then?

I have a 2011 Outback (2.5 L PZEV) with manual transmission that I'm trading in for an XC70. I'm only getting a combined 22mpg City/Hwy. [mad2]

I figure if I'm going to shell out a ton for gas anyway, I might as well do it in a more luxurious interior! [thumbup]

JRL
11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Jrl, what do the stick and automatic 04-07 V70 Rs get for mileage.? Thank you
When I had my P2 V70Rs I averaged right about 18 all around but I do a lot of "city" stop and go and lower speeds.
25-28 ish on the road at 65 ish, 30 with cruise control on at 62 MPH, level road... once. That was a timed hypermiling run
Both of mine were 6 speeds, I never personally owned an automatic for any period of time so I never checked MPG on those

bwik
11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
The post strikes me as a little bit queer, but not all that surprising. Volvo buyers want a large, powerful, heavy SUV full of steel. With AWD and automatic transmission. With 235-340hp.

Yes... this is a 4500 lb vehicle. It will burn a whole lot more gas than a Toyota Camry.

Granted it is understandable that old 4 cyl Volvo buyers or 850 buyers expect high mileage. Largely this image still exists -- which explains curb appeal of XC70 compared to a Chevy Tahoe in the sensitive Volvo demographic.

But the reality is, an XC70 burns just as much fuel as a Chevy Tahoe. If you ignore the badges and compare the amount of steel in the XC70, the luxury interior, the "big bones"... it makes sense.