PDA

View Full Version : Spambot increase

Forkster
10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey everyone,

Wanted to let you know we've seen an increase in the number of spambots on our forums. We've identified the latest bunch of culprits and have dealt with them accordingly.

How do you know you're dealing with a BOT and not a person?

1. Poster responds to a VERY old posting with a comment like 'me too' or 'that's interesting.' Some of the bots are very clever - they have algorithms to pick sentences and names from a forum posting and actually respond to a posting like a real person.

2. Their first posting is in the off-topic, site news or other off-topic area. BOT's tend to look for a variety of topics. A big one is vacation pictures, discussions about cameras, or general car topics.

3. Their signature has links in the signature or in the message body. The ones with a sig link that is to a business or their discussion topic (i.e. a off-topic posting about sport hats and in the message are links to stores that sell hats) are easy to spot.

4. They respond to a posting that makes absolutely no sense.

5. They'll respond to this posting (I've laced it with tags that BOTS pick up). (Evil grin)

If you see a bot, simply report their posting. We'll jump on them right away. Thanks for your patience folks.

Ed

Knut
01-30-2013, 12:17 AM
We've been hit pretty hard on a mountain bike forum called Rotorburn. It took nearly a week of trudging through the mess they left. The massive membership helped. They were in there for the fight too. Most of it was about mobile phones, handbags and shoes. Stuff mountain bikers always talk about on forums (pause) Not!

I hope you guys can get rid of it when it comes up. It's a pity that a couple of C30 sites went down with Spam. Keep up the good work mods.

Forkster
01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Taylor just implemented a new spambot system that picks up on those kinds of posts so that mot of you guys don't even see them. The challenge we have now are the paid spammers who create legit accounts and then put them to sleep and let the bots take them over. But the antispam system catches those pretty good.

I'm deleting anywhere from 1-200 spam posts a month. You might see a couple squeak through the system now and then.

Ed