PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 2009 XC70, now what?

NEPAXC
10-14-2012, 06:56 AM
So my wife and I just purchased a 2009 XC70 ( not the turbo) CPO till July of 2015 with 21,000mi on it, what I'm wondering is what should I do to keep it in tip top shape, what is the maintenance schedule, should I be using synthetic oil vs dino stuff? how often should it get changed etc. Also any suggestions on accessories that are a must have, we do have a 2 year old and a golden retriever so I was thinking the cargo mat in the back, and maybe the cage but my dog is pretty well behaved so I don't think i'd need the cage, just something to keep the fur down in the cargo area.

Back to maintenance I did see and download the oil change write up which was really great considered the xc has the extra step of removing the power steering pump, but what results do people have with different oils, out last car a 2004 Passat W8 really was temperamental when it came to oil selections. Also this is my first automatic transmission well ever... so what should we be doing to keep that in tip top condition?

Volvodownunder
10-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Hi NEPAXC - Firstly congratulations on becoming a Volvo owner. I am now with my 6th Volvo, wife has her No 2 and both daughters drive Volvos. As for service - I suggest you follow the service manual - a service each 15000klms (Australia has klms not miles) and use only the lubricants that are recommended. We have followed the service schedule for all of our Volvos and not encountered any major issues, in fact other than tyres and batteries and wiper rubbers there has been very little else. Hope this helps you maintain your vehicles for many enjoyable miles.

Ozzie
10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
My 2 cents, I would get (and got for my 05 & 09 XC70's) volvo rubber floor mats. Fit is perfect and they remain flexible forever.. not cheap at $122 but better than what you will find in the non-OEM world.

The decision on the rear mat depends on what you are hauling back there (unkenneled dogs, garden plants, soil, groceries, kids bikes, dive gear, golf clubs, snow boards, AKA47's, etc). I have seen rear mats that cover the rear with the back seats up or down with one side like carpet and the other that is water "proof" and easy to clean.

I got the wrong one for me (not a loop pile rug so my gorilla grabbers do not work) but the carpet looks "real perty" but not very pratical for keeping small items secure..

NEPAXC
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Has anyone lookedinto the weathertech mats they are custom fit and look to be really high quality? But i'd like to hear someone elses input

NEPAXC
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
sorry I don't know why it reposted that message.

Has anyone tried the weather tech mats, everything I read says they are very high quality and from the photo's they have a greater coverage area than the factory rubber mats. I checked out their sight they are running a special on the 1st and 2nd row mats, with the cargo mat for $289 with free shipping I'm wondering any thoughts.

JavaRacer
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I had the Weathertech mats for my 2007. They were great for Wisconsin winters! Kept all the dirt, grime, and puddles of melted snow within the mat and off the carpet. I'll be buying a set for my 2012.

budrichard
10-28-2012, 05:16 AM
All three of my XC's did not leave the Dealership without Volvo rubber floor mats fore and aft and a rear cargo mat.
Volvo accessories fit, are well made and I don't
see the need to go elsewhere.
Your vehicle is on a 15K mile Service Interval, I use Mobil 1 and only have it changed at the Service Interval, other wise I do nothing to the vehicles and they perform very well. You should have received a Maintenance Schedule with your vehicle, if not get one from Volvo and simply follow the schedule. No need to anything else.
I didn't know a power steering pump needs to be removed for an oil change? It's included in my Volvo Service Plan and do know that they need to remove the skid plate during an oil change.
These are very useful, safe and durable vehicles but they are vehicles and need no fussing with just follow the Volvo Maintenance Schedule.-Dick
Our Australian Cobberdog(used to be Australian Labradoodle) is 90#'s and rides in the rear in a Champion harness attached by a tether so she will not become a missile during an accident. I haven't used the tether in the 2011 yet so I don't know if it attaches to the clips which have never been useful in my opinion.
http://usak9outfitters.com/CCSS.htm

Cattrick
11-22-2012, 05:41 PM
As for oils anything according to specs are fine, in short terms standard for the car would be SAE 5W-30 Full synthetic according to API SL once every 12 months or when the dash indicator tells you too act accordingly.
Never use additives of any sort for anything.
Keep a close eye on coolant levels as it might drop under minimum allowed marking for odd reasons. This could, due hot spots, damage your engine.

Just fitted mudflaps front & rear to mine, hope it helps with water spray and gunk being kept to minimum and thus cleaner car or at least windows. Cheap and easy to do so why not. Rear wing is not cheap so I'll get to that later in life, I believe it has functional design so might be worth it.
Side scuffs look very cool IMO, but aren't even close to anything associated with cheap as far as exterior looks go, not a priority accessory really.

Any rubber mat for winter if you have that climate is good investing.
Grocery net makes hauling stuff you just shelled out money for stay where you put 'em

The rear doors and hatch seems to have poor fitting to the body which can wear the paint off. Keep a look out on door edges as it seems to be cheap paint work applied on top of that. I found surface rust on mine after giving the car a proper cleaning [mad2]
Use Volvo touch up paint available at any dealer.

The upper corners of the engine bay have a large gap into the wheel housing, assessable from the outside via windscreen. Keep that part of the car free from wet leafs, tree logs and sea gulls and what not at all cost. Stuff will disappear down there and stay there for ever (idiotic flaw by design!)