PDA

View Full Version : Navigation without street names...?!

Supa
10-07-2012, 08:32 AM
First time poster. I am in the hunt to buy my first family car. My family drove a 740GLE when I was a kid and have a lot of great memories of a lot of family road trips. Now leasing a 2010 Subaru Impreza and the lease is ending this coming May and although it was an excellent ride in Pittsburgh winters was not pleased with the fit and finish. Now living in Colorado the wife and I are looking for a capable car. We have pretty much settled to buy a new 2013 xc70. However, during our test drive we noticed that the navigation showed streets without their names. The dealer didn't have an answer for why not and couldn't answer if people complained about it. I wanted the forum's take on this. Is it better to get the navigation hook-up for future addition when it has been updated and save the money for a Tom-Tom or get the Nav as there is no problem with it as it is now?

Thanks

XCovlov70
10-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi,

Having had 2 XC70's with the fitted GPS Sat Nav systems I still prefer using my TomTom GO for basically 2 reasons:

1) I can take it with me to the next vehicle, so I don't have to shell out another £1500 or $2000 for the next Volvo 'FIXED' Sat Nav!

2) The Map Updates for my TomTom GO are around 1/3 the cost of the DVD's for the Volvo.

Being over this side of the 'Pond' when using my TomTom I don't have a problem in crossing Country Borders as the Map is all there.

Whereas with the Volvo Sat Nav I have to unload everything from the luggage area, lift the floor, then lift the tool tray to get at the DVD player to insert the next DVD, which is a joke when you are off on a camping trip and full of kit! :mad::mad:

My TomTom has maps loaded for Western & Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Africa & Morocco, has been with me for around 8 years and gets updated annually at a cost of around $60, but I did have to fit a new battery that cost me $10, and a couple of hours work, with an instructional video off UTube!

All you get over here with the 3 Volvo DVD's is the EU Countries, I think annual updates are around $150.

From memory I think you do see road names on the Volvo Sat Nav when you zoom in on the map or adjust the settings.

Some people say the Volvo Sat Nav is Free, but there ain't no such thing as a 'Free Lunch'

BillAileo
10-07-2012, 01:17 PM
There is another GPS option on new Volvos: Volvo in conjunction with Garmin has an option for a Garmin Nuvi mounted on a special bracket attached to the windshield post to the left of the driver. We got that option on our 2012 XC70 and really like the set up.

Supa
10-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks BillAileo, I think I will take a look at the Garmin option. XCovlov70, your points are constructive. I will see if there is a zoom option next time I test drive. I see that volvo has 2 free updates. My father in-law hasn't updated his 10 yr old nav in his Prius. I'm hoping an update every 5 years would make the nav option economical here in the US.

budrichard
10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
I use an iPhone 4 and just follow the dot and the line for the route determined by the iPhone, when the dot comes to a change in the route line, I just go where the line goes, no looking for street signs and names, works great around Chicago!
Mounts are available to fit vehicles. Saves on having multiple platforms to do the same thing.-Dick