PDA

View Full Version : ETM question

ajf10
10-02-2012, 04:10 AM
My 2001 xc70 has about 73500 miles on it. The ETM was replaced in 5/08 after failing with 63000 miles on it. It does not get driven much. I know if I keep it long enough the ETM will fail again. I am wondering if I should just wait until it fails and then have Xemodex rebuild it, or should I just rebuild it now and be done with it. I am a little nervous that if I wait too long the rebuild service will no longer be offered. Any thoughts?

JRL
10-02-2012, 04:17 AM
It could last for another 10 years at this rate you're driving it
Leave it alone

bbbuzzy
10-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Why would you want to rebuild a functioning ETM? If you go ahead and get it rebuilt, won't you just then worry about when the rebuilt one will fail? Don't sweat the small stuff, it's ok. Just move on.

Astro14
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
If you keep it long enough, almost everything will fail again...

After 80 years, I have to repair the engine on the Packard...for the SECOND time!

bbbuzzy
10-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Astro, you should post some pics of that Packard. It would be fun to see an 80yr old car that still runs. :)

KevinR
10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I am a little nervous that if I wait too long the rebuild service will no longer be offered. Any thoughts?

Enough things break on their own; there's no need to go looking for additional work.

However, if you are truly worried that XemodeX will stop offering their rebuild service, I suppose you could buy a used ETM from a salvage yard, have that rebuilt and then keep it on the shelf. When/If your current ETM fails, you could then swap in the rebuilt unit.

howardc64
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I doubt you need to worry about loosing rebuild service in the future. Here are the reasons

- The updated ETM component (Throttle Position Sensor) is made in China by a company called Sacer
- I believe Xemodex has an exclusivity on this part for US/Canada but not rest of the world. I'm guessing Xemodex designed it with Sacer and have that exclusivity is the big US market.
- Many people outside US have purchased this part from Sacer and fixed the ETM themselves. DIY effort is not very difficult for anyone mechanically handy. I see Sacer TPS selling in ebay and sellers ship to US. I've come across some folks in US that managed to get hold of this part as well.

If Xemodex ever stopped doing this, Sacer likely can sell their parts to anyone including US. Other aftermarket rebuilders will sprout up by simple economic demands. The DIY rebuild is pretty easy so there are a lot of potential rebuild providers. Anyone semi mechanically handy can do it in a couple of hours with a little patience.

So enjoy your car, you have many miles left as JRL said at the rate you are driving it. ETM rebuild service likely will be there for the next 10+ years even if Xemodex ever decides to stop the service.

By the way, I've done this rebuild myself with a custom hand modified off the shelf TPS. The circuit is very simple. There is no need to recalibrate computers etc... The rebuild is not as complex as Xemodex website make it sound. Its pretty trivial. But of course, we should reward Xemodex for taking the effort to build a designed to fit solution and offering the aftermarket improved product for our cars. They put the design work in and should get a return on investment.