PDA

View Full Version : New to Volvo and wanting to buy an XC70 seeking advice

BrianK
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Im currently driving a paid off 2004 Honda Element with only 62k miles on it. no problems with just board and want a more comfortable ride that doesn't feel like it might tip over on tight corners:). My only experience so far is test driving a 2001 V70 XC Turbo with 140k miles ($5500) and a 2009 xc70 with 30K miles ($29,000)and a 2007 xc70 wit 32K miles ($20,000). I definitely prefer the 01-07 body style so the 09 is out. Liked the 07 but spendy but it is certified from Volvo dealer. I actually loved the feel of the 01. It just floated on the highway and it was fully loaded inside and black on black colors[thumbup] but the transmission felt wonky and from reading on here id be very afraid of going that route. I have zero skills( or desires) on fixing cars so i would rely on getting it serviced elsewhere. Is it worth while to get an 01 cheap enough and have issues addressed? or if its at the trouble stage will it always be something? Im looking at 04-07. is there much difference body/feel wise of the 01 to the 07? Why did the 01 feel so good? That is until the transmission started to vibrate as I quickly decelerated form 50 mph down to a stop. Then it would surge when at complete stop.

It looks like if I want to go Volvo Im gonna have take on some more payments even after selling the Element on my own.I don't mind that. I can't seem to find any 04-05's with similar low miles as my Element:(

acools
10-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Brian,

The transmission issues on the 2001 models are substantial. You could flush the tranny, replace the valvebody and reset the transmission software and still have to replace the transmission.

I would avoid the 01 models like the plague. The 2004-2007 are well sorted out. Make sure you get one with a known maintenance history (documented or certified, not just a car fax). You should be able to find a 2004 with 100K or so for about $8000, if you are patient. Them make sure the timing belt and PCV systems are serviced.

Best,

Andres

JRL
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
$20K for an 07 with only 32,000 miles is CHEAP today

BrianK
10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
$20K for an 07 with only 32,000 miles is CHEAP today

I'm seeing that.

sjonnie
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I actually loved the feel of the 01. It just floated on the highway [...] Why did the 01 feel so good?
Sounds to me like its shocks were gone, they you get that floaty feeling as though you're riding on air. The XC70 with working shocks will let you feel the road and respond quite briskly.

Thames
10-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Sounds to me like its shocks were gone, they you get that floaty feeling as though you're riding on air. The XC70 with working shocks will let you feel the road and respond quite briskly.

My 2005 XC floats on highway, and my shocks are fine. However, I have those big marshmallow tires (16").

David Griffith
11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
My wife and I have owned 5 volvos and kept one 18 years. They were reliable Swedish 'tanks'. My wife now drives an 07 XC70 but our experience has been less favorable than with all the other volvos and far less favorable than what you will find in public reviews. You may have read about the problems and public or 'silent' transmission recalls on some XC models, but her transmission had to be completely replaced a few weeks ago at 68,000 miles. We went to the dealer and showed them that we had done all the maintenance, and we agreed that the waranty had expired so they suggested we have spent some $700 for them to open it up after which they would see if Volvo would give us a 'break' on the repairs. We declined mostly because their quoted repair price was more than twice that of other transmission shops. We located the repair shop which most area volvo dealers use, (thereby cutting out the middle man, the volvo dealer) and they knew what the problem was even before opening it up. Otherwise it has just been an OK car. It gets low gas mileage as most of them do and it is fairly expensive to repair, say compared to a Ford Truck. In your purchase calculation suggest you know before you buy that you have an excellent non dealer repairman. About two years ago I got a call from my wife who was told that the radiator needed replacing basis his observation. The radiator continues to work just fine. If you really need the features of a xc70 you might also take a look at a Subaru.