PDA

View Full Version : Computer requirements for VIDA 2011?

lichty
09-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Have come into possesion of the above and need to know what to purchase. My old laptop will not cut it and the big boy on the desk has it but is not portable. Windown 7 Professional will handle it, but what capacities in a laptop are needed.

Thanks for the input.

billr99
09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm running 2012A on a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1300 with a 1.5gHz Celeron processor and 2G of RAM. Using Win 7 Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 and IE 8. Works fine and is reasonably quick, believe it or not. I did have to temporarily tweak the registry to show that I had a 2.0Hz processor for the install though; but it does not effect the operation once everything is installed and stabilized.

Cheers,

Bill

lichty
09-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks. Now to check out Newegg.

Metallo
11-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Bill,

I have a question for you, I am trying to install VIDA 2012A on an old Pentium III 1.GHz - 1.5 RAM running W7 Pro, obviously I tried to install customized, ticking off the DICE which I do not use, it went through the process but for whatever reason it does not show the VIDA Run Status icon on the bottom right and in addition in the C:/VIDA there is only the log file.
So I went for the 'All in One' option but it tells me that I do not have enough RAM (it requires 2GB in fact), however I am sure my PC will handle the program without any problem as it is only dedicated for it, there are no other programs running.

Would you tell me how to cheat the system by changing the registry keys and let it believe I run 2..0 GB RAM ?

Thank you!
Alex

billr99
11-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi Bill,

I have a question for you, I am trying to install VIDA 2012A on an old Pentium III 1.GHz - 1.5 RAM running W7 Pro, obviously I tried to install customized, ticking off the DICE which I do not use, it went through the process but for whatever reason it does not show the VIDA Run Status icon on the bottom right and in addition in the C:/VIDA there is only the log file.
So I went for the 'All in One' option but it tells me that I do not have enough RAM (it requires 2GB in fact), however I am sure my PC will handle the program without any problem as it is only dedicated for it, there are no other programs running.

Would you tell me how to cheat the system by changing the registry keys and let it believe I run 2..0 GB RAM ?

Thank you!
Alex

You have probably seen this in regard to modifying the Registry to cheat VIDA in regard to the Windows type installed:

"To convert and upgrade Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional, follow procedure below.
Make sure you back up your registry.

Open Registry Editor (regedit).
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet00X/Control/ProductOptions, where ControlSet00X is the one with the highest number.
Delete the ProductSuite registry key.
Then, create a new DWORD value and named it as Brand.
Set the “Brand” value data as 0.
Reboot the system.
On boot up after the BIOS screen, press F8 to display Windows XP Startup Menu.
Choose Last Known Good Configuration (LNG) and hit Enter."

With this said though I am unaware of a Registry entry that reports RAM level. I believe that is a direct read off the hardware and therefore not able to be fooled. I will say that 2G on a 1.5GHz processor isn't the quickest thing around and I have to wonder what it would be like on the kit you have. With the speed of your processor I'd really try and scrounge up another 512MB of RAM.

In any case, perhaps someone else has a better answer and I'll be interested in seeing that posted if it is possible. I'd also be interested in hearing how usable the system is with those hardware specs.

Good luck,

Bill

Metallo
11-17-2012, 10:43 AM
With this said though I am unaware of a Registry entry that reports RAM level. I believe that is a direct read off the hardware and therefore not able to be fooled. I will say that 2G on a 1.5GHz processor isn't the quickest thing around and I have to wonder what it would be like on the kit you have. With the speed of your processor I'd really try and scrounge up another 512MB of RAM.

In any case, perhaps someone else has a better answer and I'll be interested in seeing that posted if it is possible. I'd also be interested in hearing how usable the system is with those hardware specs.

Good luck,

Bill

I cannot install another 512MB, 1.5GB is the max accepted by my MB.
It works fine, I used to run VADIS without any problem but I have two Volvos 1) Polar 940 2) XC70 2006 therefore I need VIDA for my XC and this is where I am coming from.
So fare I run it on a virtual machine, but I'd like the idea to use a dedicated system and the PIII I have works good as there is nothing else installed on it.

Let's see whether anybody else has a workaround to suggest :)

Thanks
Alex

parsapolis
11-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Regarding the processor... PIII is one of the most stable procesors to overclock before the c2d came out. You can easily double your speed if your MB supports OC. My old 800mhz PIII was pushing 1.86ghz with no aditional cooling and stable for three years. Just don't push your ram clock too much or you'll fry your modules unless they were built to take oc.

Regarding the registry... that's only software related. There is nothing you can do there to fool the system into thinking you have more ram. I'm tempted to say try readyboost but that's a long shot. Windows still knows it's not ram and will only report your 1.5gb to the installer.

Since your custom install went through fine, I would try again with a 1gb stick set to readyboost and see it the program shows up on your taskbar notification area. Readyboost will free up some ram that VIDA might be able to use.

Also, your videocard is probably sharing your ram as well. You can try to go into the BIOS and lower the amount of RAM dedicated to the videocard.

Good luck