PDA

View Full Version : Engine Performance Decreaced -41

lkirillov
09-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Today while driving I suddenly experienced a strange "bang" noise from behind. The car slowed down, than regained speed and the display said "Engine Performance Decreaced -41". After about 50 km I stopped and could not start the car again - the engine was dying repeatedly after one or two seconds.

Clearing the errors by disconnecting the battery did not help. After disconnecting the MAF sensor the car started as normal and I managed to get back home. Reconnecting the MAF after clearing errors (battery method) results in an engine dying after one or two seconds :(.

Is this just a faulty MAF or it can be something worse? Any help is more than welcome.

The car is '05 XC 70.

Thanks.

ifnt420
09-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Sounds like one of the charged air pipe popped. Especially you were able to drive the car after MAF disconnected.

lkirillov
09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Sounds like one of the charged air pipe popped. Especially you were able to drive the car after MAF disconnected.

Probably - this explains the "bang" sound. I say, when that "bang" happened the vehicle suddenly decreased its speed (like there was an instant pull from behind) than regained it.

Do you know how easy is to fix this without visiting the dealer?

lkirillov
09-21-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/crzydrvr00/2008-06-16_174556_112077841.gif is this the one to look at?

sjonnie
09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Very easy, you already found the charged air pipe that runs across the top of the engine to right hand side of the intercooler so check that. There is also another that runs from the left hand side of the intercooler to the throttle body, it's a little trickier to access but it's right there in between the fan and the engine.

lkirillov
09-28-2012, 09:48 AM
I managed to fix the issue.

What actually happened - the pipe #6 (http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3112/chargepipesk.jpg) was just disconnected from the intercooler body.

As I disassembled all pipes (#6 was the last;)) I found sort of sticky oil deposits inside the #5 pipe. Not much but anyways... a generous amount of disel fuel and some rags - and now it is as clean as new also. Other pipes are clean inside.

This makes me wonder what's inside the intercooler.