PDA

View Full Version : Who has had issues with the scorpians?

Hiro's XC
10-08-2002, 06:43 AM
Those of you that have had issues may respond but I am looking for those that have had them replaced by Volvo. I am compiling a list to go to bat with them. I have gotten no where in the past 4 weeks in dealing with the replacement of defective tires. I am out $535 U.S for the replacement of the bad tires and want action. Volvo N.A. is saying they have not heard from Pirelli, but I don't buy that. If you know any others on other boards please contact them for me. They can get me directly at [email protected]

TIA

Supertoyz
10-08-2002, 09:33 AM
Why didn't you just call Pirelli?  Now your asking Volvo to be the middleman and it just winds up being frustrating.  As I stated in some earlier posts, I had a problem (very slight) with some Continentals on a new BMW.  One call to Continental and four new tires were on the way to my dealership.  They contacted the service manager so that he knew they were coming and within 5 days four new tires were installed on the car at no charge and indeed solved my problem I was having.  Another example, I purchased 4 Yokohama Avid V4's fro the Tirerack last year.  Within 2 months - about 2,000 miles I began to notice some odd road noise when cornering and Heel/toe wear on the outer edge of the tires.  I contacted my salesman at the TR who told me they needed the tires back to see the problem.....Kind of a pain in the ass to remove four tires dasabling the car and shipping them back to TR so they can possibly deny a claim.  I emailed several detailed photos showing the wear and a breif explanation of the problem and photos of the old tires showing no abnormal wear after 45,000 miles.  I called TR once a week for about a month and got the runaround...waiting for so and so the get back from Vacation to see the photos, waiting for a response from Yokohama, waiting for something else.  Later I had four snows mounted so I did have the tires available to send back to the TR but they said the pictures were fine and they didn't need the tires.   I waited several more weeks calling every Monday to hear the latest excuse.  I deal with warranty everyday myself and know that if you are persistant you can get approval or denial alomst instantly so I was 100% sure the Tirerack was simply skirting the issue...you know, better things to do.  Finally I called Yokohama myself, explained the story to them and without any hesitation got an authorization # that I could use at any Yokohama dealer.  I called the Customer Service Supervisor at the TR and told her the whole story and gave her the authorization number.  She apologized for the trouble and took a note (or so she said) about the salesman I had been dealing with.  She issued me a call tag for the old tires and gave me a credit on my credit card for the entire amount I paid including shipping.  I then ordered some Bridgestones and they are performing great..........Bottom line is go to the manufacturer, Volvo does not make the tires and they will only slow down your getting replacements.  I personally have had great luck calling for new tires 2 for 2 so far and both situations the new tires solved the problems.

Good luck.

wiz
10-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Last week I was looking on the Pirelli site (horrible) for tires for the XC and they had a summer tire, a winter tire, but nothing under all season. "Odd" I thought.

Then Friday I read somewhere that Pirelli were discontinuing the Scorpion S/T tire. Hmmm, they're no longer on the manufacturer's web site, there's a report they're being discontinued, Tire Rack are selling them for $63.00...

Wonder what's going to be on the 2003 XC70?

LisaPhish
10-08-2002, 01:01 PM
Yes, perhaps they ARE PIRELLI'S, but Volvo is the one that chose to put them on their cars, and so Volvo should be the ones to deal with it.  In order for Volvo to rectify the problem, however, they need to ADMIT there is, in fact, a problem, which is not very easy to get them to do.   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sly.gif  Quite a shame when it's SUPPOSED to be a reputable company.  

At any rate, FYI, my dealership replaced my tires first with another set of Scorpian's, and when that did not fix the problem, they put a set of the Nokian WR's on.  Unfortunately, this was not my problem, as the vibration continues...... as you all know.

I sent you an email too, Jason, from someone who READS this board.

Cheers!

Lisa

Hiro's XC
10-14-2002, 08:01 AM
Well the situation started the day we took the car. Saturday, so no one could work on it. The dealer is responsible for the balance for the first 12 months/ 12K miles. That did not solve the issue. I went to Pirelli and was told to g to a local deale and they woul handle the issue. They would not. Two different dealers told me to buy a new set first than they would deal with me. Wrong answer. That is why Volvo was involved in it. They should have caught the problem at the PDI. They did not. That is why they got the brunt of this.

The latest update is a calll to a higher-up person at volvo and the GM of the dealer got the ball rolling last week and on Friday they called me and told me to stop in with the receipt and they would refund the cost of te new tires. We'll see.

Jason

Hiro's XC
10-15-2002, 08:00 AM
Well the update is I droppped off the copies of the receipts for the tires and the installation  and they said they would mail me the check in a few days. There was a huge apoligy that went along with it to. Good. About time they stood up and completed the deal.

wiz
10-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Good for you, Jason!

I read somewhere else that someone had just gotten 4 Scorpions from Tirerack and they were terrible. You could just look at a couple of them and see they weren't round!

Seems like the QC at Pirelli isn't so good... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Wesley
10-29-2002, 02:58 PM
I just bought new Michelins and have a set of the Scorpions available if anyone wants them. Under 3000 miles. No visible problems or damage - I just didn't like the ride and I am a Michelin guy

Send me a note if you are interested.

Mike

ytaebnairb
01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
I took mine to a local tire store that sells Pirellis and had them return them to Pirelli for partial credit.  Applied credit towards purchase of Michelins.  Very Happy!  Tires were about 11 Months and 8k miles old.  Rotated once and they sounded very bad.  Dont wait for Volvo NA, just go trade them while you can.

mrb
01-26-2004, 08:43 AM
From reading all post on tires, I would assume that my next tires will be Nokian-though I haven't had any problems yet with my tires--just want the best--Nice seeing Wiz answering--missed seeing his thoughts  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif merv

geff
01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Wesley,
What make of Michelins did you put on the xc?  I am just starting to look and i love the way they ride.  have always had them and can't seem to find a good all season from them

Raynald
01-26-2004, 03:21 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wiz @ Oct. 15 2002,08:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Seems like the QC at Pirelli isn&#39;t so good... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Humm... I think you have a point here, as some members don&#39;t seem to have any problems with STR&#39;s or even ST&#39;s. At Tirerack, the Pirelli&#39;s are amongst the least expensive in XC size and speed rating. Anyway, mine are horrible and I won&#39;t replace them with Pirelli&#39;s, that&#39;s for sure...&#33;