PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil drain plug Vs. Tranny oil drain plug

Jorge-789995
08-19-2012, 05:47 PM
I changed the engine oil today and while there I decided to do a dump and refill on the transmission as well. This is the first time I've had both drain plugs out at the same time. The transmission plug had a magnet in the center, but the engine oil plug had nothing. It looked like it had a place for a magnet, but no magnet.

My question is does the engine oil plug normally have a magnet? if so, does the transmission plug also normally have a magnet? I wonder if the 2 could have been switched at some point. It would make sense that both had magnets.

The car is the much maligned 02.

Thanks,

Keith

stupidloose
08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
My tranny plug has one in it, Plus I installed a Magnafine filter as well. As far as my engine oil plug; It does not. I recently ordered one from IPD that comes with a magnet to replace the factory one.

Allen
08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
I installed the Fumoto drain valve in all of my cars (two are now sold).

That's the way to go. No tools required to drain the oil, thus no chance of a dummy stripping your threads out, etc.

Just adhere neodymium magnets to the pan.

mstrohecker
08-20-2012, 06:52 AM
My tranny plug has one in it, Plus I installed a Magnafine filter as well. As far as my engine oil plug; It does not. I recently ordered one from IPD that comes with a magnet to replace the factory one.

I just did a tranny drain and fill for the first time this weekend and it had a magnetic drain plug. The oil plug does not have a magnet. There was also no crush washer on the tranny drain plug so I used one from the oil filters that I bought from IPD. I was amazed at all the fine metal shavings stuck to the tranny plug magnet.