PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with driving technique during transmission adaptation.

08-15-2012, 12:51 PM
The car is a 2002 and when I am driving the car to complete the adaptation I am having difficulty getting it to run through all of the gears before I have to stop due to either a red light or stop sign. Is there a minimum amount of open road others have found to be required to do the adaptation? Also, is the car supposed to be on level ground during the entire process?

I was able to get the warning light to eventually light after all shifts on the low (1400 RPM) and all but 5th gear on the medium (1800 RPM) portions but only a couple on the high (1500 RPM) portion.

Also, do each of the shifts have to light on every attempt before moving on to the next portion of the adaptation? For example, if on the 1400 RPM portion it doesn’t light on shift 3 but shifts 1, 2 & 4 do, is it required to do the 1400 RPM portion over even if shift 3 has illuminated on previous attempts?

Thanks,

Astro14
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
From what I read on VADIS - you have to get every shift at that RPM before moving on to the next RPM, but not every shift has to happen sequentially or in the same run, so you can do 6 1400 RPM runs to get that last shift you're looking for, then move up.

Once you get a light for that shift (E.G. the 1400 RPM 3-4 shift), that shift is done, it's adapted...no need to try and re-visit it...though you may get the light for that shift on subsequent runs...

I found that low traffic more than road distance was a key to completing this, and it does take a while... (I talked about it here: http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/2002-V70-XC-Valve-Body-Replacement-Notes.pdf)

JRL
08-15-2012, 02:21 PM
You can leave out 5th, it's not going to make that much (if any) difference.
I have found, (and I have done many of these) is that if you get it close it will be fine
Contrary to popular thinking, it does not have to be exact, just sort of close.

I also have found is that if you just drive it real SLOWLY and just try to keep it under 2000 RPMs for a few run ups thru the gears it will be fine, 1500 RPM is almost impossible to keep it there.

Volky_one
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Whenever I do adaptation on my car triangle orange lights always start at 1800 RPM and I don't know why, and by experience it is not possible to get to the next round without passing the lower rpms

billr99
08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Whenever I do adaptation on my car triangle orange lights always start at 1800 RPM and I don't know why, and by experience it is not possible to get to the next round without passing the lower rpms

Yeah, mine is similar. I can get the 1-2 shift at about 1500 but no way can I get the rest done at that rpm. More like 17-1800. I wonder just how accurate the tach is and if that might be part of it.

Cheers,

Bill