PDA

View Full Version : Two oil changes with CD-2 detergent added: the 02 is running stronger than ever.

Allen
08-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Driving it for five years now, and it's running stronger and smoother than ever before. CD-2 works. It will always be in my oil from now on.

Just hit 100k miles.

XC70XC
08-10-2012, 06:00 AM
What oil do you use? Synth blend or full synth?

Astro14
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Sigh....good oil works...but CD-2? It's for fixing problems that wouldn't be there had good oil been used in the first place...and your Owner's Manual specifically says not to use oil additives...

But the real question is: how do you know it "works"? What before/after comparison do you have?

100K isn't that many miles, it should run well..."smooth" and "strong" are awfully subjective...what objective evidence do you have that adding something to your oil makes any difference?

KB3MMX
08-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Agreed, oil additive crap is a band aid fix for problems from running crap dino oil in the first place. Pick a high quality synthetic oil and stick with it, skip the additives!

guyeye
08-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Agreed, but while we are are on the subject, what about the ole' seafoam in the crankcase 40 miles before an oil change routine, every so often. Does this fall under the "don't use the additive crap" heading as well? I was about to do this- not for any reason, just as regular maintenance. Don't mean to hijack, just wondering, while we were on the subject.

Astro14
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Seafoam is basically very light oil, naptha and alcohol, intended to clean and preserve marine engines.

Putting that in your engine oil is going to reduce its viscosity considerably, putting your engine and turbo bearings at risk from overly thin oil. Further, if your engine really does have sludge/carbon in it, the naptha and alcohol will help to dislodge it, where it can score bearings, clog the oil pick-up and VVT actuator...

Used as intended, Seafoam is OK...but I wouldn't put it in my engine's oil...

Ever.

guyeye
08-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Astro, I was hoping for your honest response, being the oil geek that you seem to be. Thanks! One less thing to buy and do!

Astro14
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Honest...but not particularly tactful, for which I apologize...

I am a fan of cleaning slowly...using the oil itself...lower risk...

A good oil, changed a bit more often, won't dislodge sludge, but will slowly work it out of the engine...

guyeye
08-11-2012, 06:14 AM
You are a gentleman, and a freind. Miss manners would be proud.
Thanks! I plan on driving this car for a good long time. Plenty of time for slow, gentle oil therapy.

guymon
08-11-2012, 07:39 AM
When I got my 2001 XC with 112K miles it had its oil changed at the dealer from the beginning. I changed the oil and used mobil 1 0-30. After 2500 miles the oil was black and the filter was filthy! I did an oil change and at 2500 miles the oil looks good. I suspect the first time I used the 0-30 it scrubbed all those years of whatever the dealer was using off the engine.

XC70XC
08-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Use good oil such as fully synthetic and regular oil change will see the engine running well. My car been using fully synthetic since new and even my indie Volvo guy uses Mobil 1 only.

Allen
08-14-2012, 10:37 PM
50k miles of pure synthetic, mostly GC, and lately Ultra.

I like the acceleration I have now, so I'll be pouring in CD-2 from now on.

Astro14
08-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Allen - in all seriousness, if you're running Ultra or GC - then you've got the best stuff money can buy in the crankcase...They're great on their own. I know I've said this in other threads, but running the Ultra 5W40 in the XC has actually cleaned the engine so that it looks like new inside...in the crankcase where it counts (took a peek when I changed oil cooler o-rings)...so, just on its own, the Ultra cleaned that engine up.

Adding CD-2 in there with those 2 fine oils degrades the chemistry...like buying a fine microbrew beer and adding a bit of Old Milwaukee just to "improve it"...ugh...

Allen
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Allen - in all seriousness, if you're running Ultra or GC - then you've got the best stuff money can buy in the crankcase...They're great on their own. I know I've said this in other threads, but running the Ultra 5W40 in the XC has actually cleaned the engine so that it looks like new inside...in the crankcase where it counts (took a peek when I changed oil cooler o-rings)...so, just on its own, the Ultra cleaned that engine up.

Adding CD-2 in there with those 2 fine oils degrades the chemistry...like buying a fine microbrew beer and adding a bit of Old Milwaukee just to "improve it"...ugh...

I hear you, and I'm not arguing against good solid common sense, but my car is running so dang well now.

Astro14
08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I have no doubt that your car is running great, you've been treating it well...the crux of the issue is: did CD-2 contribute to this? Or did it happen in spite of CD-2?

Remember, doctors used to attach leeches and bleed patients to balance the body's humors. The patients got better...so clearly, the bloodletting helped...and balancing the humors worked....right?

Allen
08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I have no doubt that your car is running great, you've been treating it well...the crux of the issue is: did CD-2 contribute to this? Or did it happen in spite of CD-2?

Remember, doctors used to attach leeches and bleed patients to balance the body's humors. The patients got better...so clearly, the bloodletting helped...and balancing the humors worked....right?

Facepalm