PDA

View Full Version : 2001 xc70 Tranny

mstrohecker
08-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Hello all,
I've owned a 2001 xc70 for a year now and the car runs perfectly. Transmission is smooth as silk.

My question is should I change the tranny fluid using the gibbons method? I am very good with working on my vehicles and never had to mess with the transmission....they always just worked. I already change the oil myself and am unsure of the condition of the tranny fluid.

I hesitate because it's running great right now and I don't want to stir anything up or not get the fluid level right and do damage. Not to mention the damn fluid is not cheap[sly]. Also, is there anyway to tell if the tranny was replaced?

I've always been a VW guy so working on a Volvo is very new to me.

Thanks

sjonnie
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Spot the transmission fluid on a clean, white paper towel, preferably next to a spot of new fluid. Compare to figure below.

Astro14
08-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, you should flush it if it's been more than 30,000 miles.

The fluid IS cheap, if you go to your Toyota dealer and buy T-IV for $6.25/QT.

If you're crazy enough to go to your Volvo dealer and pay $28/QT for the EXACT SAME thing...well, then I suppose it's expensive...If you buy the dealer explanation that their fluid is synthetic, have them show you the product data sheet on the Volvo trans fluid, which clearly states "mineral oil"...people assume that the factory fluid is synthetic because it's ridiculously priced...nope, it's just ridiculously priced...

If you don't have a Toyota dealer nearby (or don't like them), you can buy Mobil 3309, which is the EXACT SAME thing here: http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html
for $65/case (plus shipping).

Thames
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
BeckArnley is now supplying T-IV ATF with under their own name. Not too pricey and available thru many autoparts stores.

http://www.beckfluids.com/products/atf/t4/

Astro14
08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Good to know...thanks!

XC70XC
08-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Good to know alternative source for parts and stuff. Thanks.