PDA

View Full Version : Leak Detection Pump

mbedard28
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
So the '05 XC70 is back in the shop again (the third time in a month). First was for the oil trap (got them finally to cover that one), second time was after it broke down on the side of the highway the very next day with my wife and 2 year old son in it (they didn't put a clamp assembly on the throttle body air intake or something back together properly), and now it looks like it needs a new Leak Detection Pump, and fuel door electronic control.

The bigger problem though is the fact that it looks like it needs a new transmission. For the last 6 services or so I have repeatedly told them there is a clunk in between second and third, and the whole car shudders and the steering column jumps. They say they miraculously can't recreate the issue (which it does every single time) and they're not seeing any codes involving the transmission. Apparently they finally checked the fluid today and it is burnt to a crisp. Warranty company said they need to do a tear down so they can inspect the parts before making payment on a new tranny. OK fine, Volvo is pretty sure this will all be covered, but come on! I've been telling you for months something wasn't right!

Anyhow, can someone tell me how complicated the Leak Detection Pump replacement will be? I'm trying to avoid paying them $500 to do this....I'm pretty good with my hands, just redid all the pads and rotors myself, but don't really have any experience with engine and emissions related items.

Thanks in advance for your help!

mbedard28
08-06-2012, 10:45 AM
p.s. Just saw the thread about the software patch to correct for erroneous errors based on current draw. That will be my first question to the dealership this afternoon. "Show me where the software patch recommended in TSB 264409 was done."

8pack
08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
So the '05 XC70 is back in the shop again (the third time in a month). First was for the oil trap (got them finally to cover that one), second time was after it broke down on the side of the highway the very next day with my wife and 2 year old son in it (they didn't put a clamp assembly on the throttle body air intake or something back together properly), and now it looks like it needs a new Leak Detection Pump, and fuel door electronic control.

The bigger problem though is the fact that it looks like it needs a new transmission. For the last 6 services or so I have repeatedly told them there is a clunk in between second and third, and the whole car shudders and the steering column jumps. They say they miraculously can't recreate the issue (which it does every single time) and they're not seeing any codes involving the transmission. Apparently they finally checked the fluid today and it is burnt to a crisp. Warranty company said they need to do a tear down so they can inspect the parts before making payment on a new tranny. OK fine, Volvo is pretty sure this will all be covered, but come on! I've been telling you for months something wasn't right!

Anyhow, can someone tell me how complicated the Leak Detection Pump replacement will be? I'm trying to avoid paying them $500 to do this....I'm pretty good with my hands, just redid all the pads and rotors myself, but don't really have any experience with engine and emissions related items.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I replaced the LDP on my car. Easy Job. I pulled the whole exhaust down fromt he Cat Back, then you reach up undo a couple of bolts and the harness and it drops out. My mechanic said I didn't need to unhook it at the cat even though that is what the volvo manual says to do. He says he lets it droop at the rear and supports it at the CAT to take the pressure off the exhaust at the front. Then just reach up and do the change. I believe you need to remove the inner fender well also and then re-rivet it. The rivets can be purchased at the volvo dealer and they are cheap.

Search on my name, I think I posted on it already....

jda2000
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Before you replace the LDP, have the dealer do the software upgrade and do a leak detection test after the upgrade. Only then, if the tests fails you replace the LDP .

The software upgrade is free, especially with all the work the dealer has done on your car so far.