PDA

View Full Version : Dark glass

sjonnie
08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
How do I figure out if my car has the dark glass option or not? My vehicle has been tinted on the inside with a reflective coating so it's hard to tell if the glass is dark or light.

JRL
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
If it has a 12v outlet in the hatch area it has the darker laminated glass

sjonnie
08-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks. I need to replace the rear quarter window on the driver's side - the one with the aerial. Dealer wants $315 for the window and another $150 for the piece of plastic trim (which will need painting). With install and paint on top of this it's going to be an $800 job. Anybody ever replaced this window? Is it possible to reuse the plastic trim, apprently it's stuck to the window with glue - lol. Also, do I need to buy OEM glass or can any auto glass place put OEM equivalent glass in there?

KevinR
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Can anyone provide more details about the darker glass? Which windows are darker? My car has the rear 12V outlet and the previous owner had aftermarket window tint applied. The rear doors and cargo area are darker than the front doors. I'm guessing the factory darker windows applies to the hatch and rear quarters, but I wonder about the rear seat doors.

The reason I ask is because the film on the LR door is damaged and needs to be replaced. But if the windows are already darker from the factory, I may just peel the film from the back doors and see how it looks.

JRL
08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Rear doors are also a bit darker.
Here is a picture of a random 07, note the side windows are a bit darker and the rear glass is darker yet
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww329/JRL1194/manheimsalecar.jpg

KevinR
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks Jim! My windows are definitely darker than the ones in the picture you posted.

JRL
08-07-2012, 07:22 PM
That one has laminated glass

KevinR
08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
The windows in my car are an interesting mix...

PPG windshield
Driver's door - Volvo glass, marked E5
RF, LR, RR doors - Volvo glass, marked E5 LAMINATED
Rear side windows - Volvo glass, marked E2
Tailgate window - Volvo glass, marked E11

From replacing the speakers, I can tell someone's been into the driver's door before and they didn't do a great job. There is a water shield missing on the inside. I'm guessing the car's driver's window was smashed at some point.