PDA

View Full Version : Windows, blower fan, etc electrical worries

PV544
07-31-2012, 06:04 AM
I've been a bit reluctant to post as I'm not sure I'll meet criteria and someone is sure to suggest I've not looked around enough to find the answers lurking somewhere in here, but lately since I haven't been able to locate other posts with similar problems I've decided to hang it all and just jump in. My first V70 is a 2002 XC. 175k miles, Xemodex repaired instrument cluster.

Periodically, I'll find the cabin blower operating on it's own when the car is parked. In one instance the ignition keys were in my pocket. (head scratch #1)

More often than not, the auto-up feature of the front door glass will raise the glass to near 2 inches from closing and then drop back down. At first it was only the passenger door, but now the driver's door has decided to emulate this. The glass can be raised by holding the switch.

Sunroof stopped working, happily in the closed position. At about the same time, the rear view mirror has developed a lighter shade of viewing field in the upper 1/2 inch of glass. The shape of this blob changes slightly now and then. I suspect a control module for the sunroof which I assume is part of the console where the switches for the reading lamps, and sunroof switch reside, but admittedly this is only a WAG.

Who's seen any or all of these annoyances? I'd sure welcome your thoughts/experiences. Thanks! -mark

Astro14
07-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Seen many of them.

Cabin blower comes on 50 minutes after shutdown to remove moisture from the evaporator - normal, and described in the OM.

Window is sensing an obstruction - this is a safety feature - designed to prevent it pinching little fingers and hands...yours might need the tracks cleaned/lubed since the sensing isbased on motor current draw.

Sunroof is the Upper Electronic Module (most likely) - try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting as described in the resources section to reset the module.

Rear view mirror? No idea...but reset the UEM and see what it does...

PV544
07-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Many thanks to Astro 14. Will try these suggestions, love that they're simple. Will repost with the results.

Astro14
07-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Glad to help - first car I can remember was my Dad's 1965 PV544...it was red...

BillAileo
07-31-2012, 12:22 PM
In regard to the sunroof not working, a possibile, but probably not the most likely cause could be a failed alarm system siren or its wiring....

Astro14
07-31-2012, 02:46 PM
I got the alarm system fail message when my siren went out and sunroof operation was unaffected...

So, the question goes to PV544 - any other messages in the DIM?

PV544
07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
I got the alarm system fail message when my siren went out and sunroof operation was unaffected...

So, the question goes to PV544 - any other messages in the DIM?
In the rare instance I use the lock fob, I will get an "alarm system service required" message. I always have had in the 6 months ownership of this car, "SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT" message.

I still have (among others) a white 1965 PV544 I bought in 1977 with 62,000 miles. It cost me $250. It know reads about 100,000 miles, is essentially stock in appearance but is moved along by a B20 with an IpD big bore kit. Great fun car! Incidentally, one of my favorite US marques is Packard, but I don't qualify for asking as I don't own one:)

Astro14
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Probably worth having it hooked up to VADIS then - the alarm module fails at about this age - battery goes and it faults. You can solder in a new battery if the board is OK, but my module board was fried, so I had to buy a new one. You'll need a dremel for the tamper-proof bolts...details on the resources page...

As bizarre as it sounds, a failed alarm system can disable the sunroof (from what others have posted, it didn't affect mine, I just got the message you are getting).

The Packard was also my father's - an example of excellence in engineering and quality - amazing how well it all works, 80 years later...even the Packard "Ride Control", driver-adjustable shocks with a knob under the dash which adjusts the damping...

Willy
08-01-2012, 02:32 AM
@PV544:
It is not always easy to find what one is looking for in the archives, so if you have a question or a problem, don't hesitate.

From the attached pdf, it can be seen that the Siren Control Module (SCM) and the SunRoof Module (SRM)
are both connected to the Upper Electronic Module (UEM) by means of a CAN-bus data connection.
A malfunction in the data connectoion of the SCM can perhaps affect the UEM and and the SRM.
Should the SCM fail in another way, then perhaps the UEM and the SRM can be unaffected.
Willy

PV544
08-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Thank you Willy and Astro and all others who've made me feel welcome and provided useful direction. I'll be sure to update here on my progress and findings. Having been a dedicated driver of 245 model cars for ages (essentially farm tractors with power windows compared to the XC70), I find the learning curve a bit steep, mostly owing to finding that I don't have years of drivetime and experience on this breed. Still I love driving the thing and will miss it when I turn it over to my bride this Autumn, she being the intended recipient of the car from the start.

PV544
08-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Progress update. OK, I should feel a bit sheepish here but it's not likely I would have found a solution to the inoperative sunroof (worked when I bought the car) until I initiated this thread, so here goes. This morning after reading the latest comment and reviewing the previous ones, I popped open the fuse panel on the left side of the dash where months ago I checked the fuse for the sunroof. This time I also checked the #38 fuse for the 'siren' and found it blown. Replacement of this fuse has permitted the sunroof to function. For giggles I also performed the sunroof calibration. Can't be sure it added anything but I know that I've gone through the motions. Leaving home for work this morning in the fog and dew, I noticed that my door glass auto-up function worked correctly, suggesting I need to make sure that the glide channels are clean and adequately slippery, such as what the morning moisture provided. Have a great day, all of you!

Willy
08-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Good to hear that you solved the problem!
Should the siren module need to be replaced (the fuse probably didn't blow without reason), you could consider to do without.
The best thing to do would then be to remove or disconnect the module and to seal the connector so that anything going wrong
down there will not be able to compromize the rest of the system.
Willy

Astro14
08-01-2012, 09:35 AM
great!

PV544
08-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Right Willy, where I live there's by and large no great need for a security system, and I agree, it didn't just randomly blow. I'll be mindful of that. Meanwhile I am going to see if I enjoy that sunroof as much as I think I will!

BillAileo
08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Glad you are back in business. FWIW: When the siren module rotted away on our S80 the corrosion was focused on where the wiring harness plugs into the module. If you simply remove the module I think there is a possibility the sun roof will not function....