PDA

View Full Version : SRS System Urgent message

mapper
07-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Started my car the other day to this gem on the DIM. Yeah! [sly]

Guessing this means it's time to order a VIDA/DICE set up and start digging in BUT thought I would first ask if there are any SRS system warnings that come up as a maintenance item? Seems like something that Volvo might program in for all their safety minded consumers. I also just got a message that it is time for regular service. Coincidence?

05 72k

Astro14
07-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Most likely a coincidence. the maintenance reminder is a simple widget - 7,500 miles or 12 months. The SRS service urgent is a detected fault in the system, the fault can be simple (bad switch, for example), but only a VIDA readout would tell you what the fault is.

mapper
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Took it to the somewhat local indy with a VADIS and got the following code

SRS101B Control module, internal fault, Int. Symptom area: 88

They said, "bad module, dealer only because it needs to be programmed". Told me they tried to reset but it came back. So much for the easy solution hope.

So, my questions:

1. Where is this module?
2. Does the "int" stand for intermittent...is there any wiring I can check to be sure this isn't just a loose connector/chaffed wire?
3. Is this really "dealer only" or can I look for a used module at, say, Erie and have the dealer program?
4. Can this be rebuilt to avoid reprogramming? Where?
5. Should the attempted reset code cause my clock to reset? I ask because when I drove home the clock was reset...this never happened before and it seems to me that clock issues are an early sign of DIM failure...maybe this is DIM issue?

I really don't want to use my local dealer if I can avoid it. I called to ask what it would cost to "check" for software updates. They told me $120 for diagnostic of any kind other than check engine (which is "free" :rolleyes:)

mapper
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
ok, definitely want to know where this module is located. Called dealer and the writer told me he's been there 4 weeks (scary) and he's already seen a loose connector causing this fault 3 times!!

Aviator
07-30-2012, 06:24 PM
One important question needs to be asked. Is the SRS light/icon staying on too? This is besides seeing the message displayed. If that light is not on, and goes off after the SRS self test is complete, then you have a bad DIM. The clock being reset may have been the result of the battery being disconnected in an attempt to clear the fault code. If that was not the case, then that would also point to the DIM being faulty. Also, verifying the integrity of the connection to the SRS module will not fix anything either (if in fact the connection is poor). You will then have a whole list of codes stores. You will need VIDA hooked to the car to clear out the codes. I replaced a SIPS bag last week in a driver's seat and could not clear the fault code out. I realised the SRS module went stupid and had to reload the SRS software to clear it.

Dave.

mapper
07-30-2012, 09:20 PM
One important question needs to be asked. Is the SRS light/icon staying on too? This is besides seeing the message displayed. If that light is not on, and goes off after the SRS self test is complete, then you have a bad DIM. The clock being reset may have been the result of the battery being disconnected in an attempt to clear the fault code. If that was not the case, then that would also point to the DIM being faulty. Also, verifying the integrity of the connection to the SRS module will not fix anything either (if in fact the connection is poor). You will then have a whole list of codes stores. You will need VIDA hooked to the car to clear out the codes. I replaced a SIPS bag last week in a driver's seat and could not clear the fault code out. I realised the SRS module went stupid and had to reload the SRS software to clear it.

Dave.

Thanks, yes the icon is on steady.

I had the code read and posted the dtc, see above. I assume they tried to clear the code using their vida, as opposed to disconnecting the battery. I guess I can ask but seems silly to disconnect the battery when you have the proper tool.

mapper
08-03-2012, 06:55 AM
No comments on where this module is?

I just want to inspect the connection and the wires but need to know where to look

mapper
08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
No comments on where this module is?

I just want to inspect the connection and the wires but need to know where to look

:confused:

Bump, my new Volvo has been sitting in the garage collecting dust. Really want to attempt all I can before I let the dealer suck my wallet dry

billr99
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
You cannot clear the SRS light with most basic scan tools or by pulling the battery. A VIDA/DICE setup is really the only easy way to do it or one of the more specialized shop-grade scan tools. A $200 investment in a DiCE clone, assuming you already have a suitable laptop, would be a wise way to go as any number of electronic glitches or mis-handling of some of the components can set an SRS light. To make your life simple, the best procedure is to just reset the light properly, clear any codes and then see if anything you normally do sets the SRS light. Might save you a bunch of hassle this way.

Good luck,

Bill

mapper
08-15-2012, 08:33 AM
You cannot clear the SRS light with most basic scan tools or by pulling the battery. A VIDA/DICE setup is really the only easy way to do it or one of the more specialized shop-grade scan tools. A $200 investment in a DiCE clone, assuming you already have a suitable laptop, would be a wise way to go as any number of electronic glitches or mis-handling of some of the components can set an SRS light. To make your life simple, the best procedure is to just reset the light properly, clear any codes and then see if anything you normally do sets the SRS light. Might save you a bunch of hassle this way.

Good luck,

Bill

OK, as I posted previously, see above. To recap: The independent Volvo shop with the VIDA/DICE setup pulled the code and attempted a reset...code came right back (I posted the code, SRS101B Control module, internal fault, Int. Symptom area: 88). They told me the module should be replaced and I should go to the dealer because ONLY the dealer can program the module.

So, now my questions are:

1) Where is the module is so I can look at it and the connections? Thereby making sure I don't have a simple lousy connection or chaffed wire.

2) Can I fit a used module and have it programmed? Thereby at least saving me from getting raped by the dealer for the part

billr99
08-15-2012, 05:53 PM
OK, as I posted previously, see above. To recap: The independent Volvo shop with the VIDA/DICE setup pulled the code and attempted a reset...code came right back (I posted the code, SRS101B Control module, internal fault, Int. Symptom area: 88). They told me the module should be replaced and I should go to the dealer because ONLY the dealer can program the module.

So, now my questions are:

1) Where is the module is so I can look at it and the connections? Thereby making sure I don't have a simple lousy connection or chaffed wire.

2) Can I fit a used module and have it programmed? Thereby at least saving me from getting raped by the dealer for the part

Doh! Sorry, apparently I can't read English.

According to VIDA (2012A):

"Downloading software and replacing the control module

New software can be downloaded into the SRS (supplemental restraint system). When ordering software, the hardware and the software in the car is compared to the Volvo central database. If the comparison is OK the software is downloaded to the control module.

If the comparison between the car and Volvo central database is not OK, the database is updated with the car configuration. When this is complete the software is downloaded. The software file will contain different types of information depending on the car's date of manufacture.
In S80s manufactured before structure week 9950 the control module is pre-loaded with the parameter settings file and only the signal configuration file need be downloaded.

The Structure weeks can be read off using VIDA.

After structure week 9950 the S80, S60, V70 and V70 XC models have the same hardware but different software. When the control module is replaced the new control module will not have any preprogrammed software.
The type of information which will be downloaded are parameter files containing:

Car type
Right / left hand drive
Parameters unique to this model
If the car has a passenger airbag or not
And a signal configuration file. "

As far as location:

"Supplemental restraint system module (SRS), replacing

Removal Preparations

Disconnect the battery lead.
See: Battery, disconnecting .

SRS control module

V70XC/XC70
Remove the front storage compartment. See Center console, replacing:Replacing the storage compartment (-2004) or the entire center console. See Center console, replacing (2005-).

Push the boot to one side and disconnect the connector.

Remove the 3 control module screws (torx 30).
Lift the control module.

Installation
Caution! Take care that nothing comes between the control module and the bodywork. This can cause over-sensitivity or poor SRS system function.

Supplemental restraint system module (SRS)

Install 3 screws (torx 30). Tighten to 10 Nm.
Caution! It is important that the control module is securely mounted onto the bodywork if the sensor module is to operate properly.
Other components are reinstalled in reverse order.

Ordering software

Order software. See: 9438415

Programming control module

Applies to MY 2005-
After downloading and configuring the control module the control module receives the vehicle configuration data from the central electronic module (CEM). This can take up to 15 seconds and during this time the SRS lamp flashes in the Driver information module (DIM). Downloading and configuration is complete when the SRS lamp stops flashing.

Final check

Warning! The ignition must not be switched on when the SRS ignition cable connector is being removed or installed.
When all components have been installed:
switch ignition to position II
reconnect the battery negative lead.
Note! Check that the SRS indicator lamp is not defective by turning the key to position II. The SRS indicator lamp should light and go out after approximately seven seconds.

Check that the SRS indicator lamp is not lit constantly. If the lamp is lit constantly use the data link connector (DLC) or VCT2000 to trace the fault. "

From all of this it would look like that trying a used one would be a purely experimental effort. But considering the price of a new SRS module, it might be worth a shot if you could get a junk yard to work with you on the price of a used one. Have you tried Eire Vo-vo to see what they want for one they might have?

Anyway, good luck and I hope this info helps a bit better than my other response,

Bill

mapper
08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm on vacation this week and didn't get a chance to dig in before I left...sorting everything at the office never goes as smooth as it should :rolleyes:

Anyway, will take a look and report when I get back.

mapper
10-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Just as a temporary follow up on this...for the time being I'm just living with it. I understand my airbag doesn't work but I don't have it in my budget right now so I just drive the Volvo as little as possible. That and I have such a damn block about going to dealers for service that I literally can't get myself to do it. A regular mechanic is difficult enough but dealer...that's like the devil incarnate!

Using the time to catch up on other deferred maintenance items and getting it all ready for winter.

billr99
10-31-2012, 03:41 AM
You still have seat belts so you aren't totally out there in the event of an incident. If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it but then again I've "tested" seat belts (street and competition) so I'm comfortable with their capabilities.

Good luck,

Bill

mapper
10-31-2012, 06:36 AM
This is true. And, of course, the primary objective is to avoid accidents. Been doing a great job of that since before I had air bags, abs, dstc, snow tires and all that jazz (knock on wood).

Sadly it comes down to one of those dumb luck things. I worry that the one time I find myself in an accident (since they happen) will be when I buy a Volvo but cheap out on the air bag repair [nonono]. So I try to keep it out of commute duty, Salt Lake freeways are a scary place.

Still taking trips with her though.

Since purchasing in May have managed to put over 10k on her. Been to Bend, Oregon twice, San Fran once, Southern UT/AZ, Crested Butte and Idaho. Headed to Mesa Verde (general 4 corners region) to explore the numerous ancient ruins is 2 weekends so she'll be back out on the open road. [thumbup]

n00bkiller944
10-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Most of the time airbag control modules are in the bottom center of the vehicle. For example when I replaced this module on my 98 S70 it was under the center console.

mapper
05-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Wow! been almost a year I've been living with this srs urgent message. Anyway finally did some digging last weekend. Module was under center console. Quite easy to get to excepting the stupid connector for the rear 12v outlet that you can't really see or grasp well enough to disconnect. That connector took 3x as long as the rest of the job! Attached a picture of what the module looks like. It is directly under your cupholders. There is a rubber boot over the top. The picture is with the rubber boot removed.

Anyway, for the reference of others, Erie has these modules in stock, for me it was $150. They need the part# and bosch# to get a proper match. Now I'm trying to get the information I need to properly install/program the thing.

Started a new thread for that...hopefully moving a little faster on that one!!
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?23762-Advice-for-replacing-main-airbag-module&p=161554#post161554

Astro14
05-10-2013, 10:41 AM
My last trip to the dealer (with my T5) cost me $37. That's not a misprint. They reset an airbag light, checked the software versions with Vida/Dice, and I enjoyed the wi-fi and free coffee for an hour.

Not all of them are bad...mine, in Virginia Beach, is really quite good. You might consider calling yours.

mapper
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Fair enough. I called. They said sometimes a used module is successful and can be "reflashed" but usually not and new is required. The rough quoted price for a new module is "at least a grand" and "volvo is very proud of their modules". Just like their amazing transmissions, I suppose. Anyway, as far as procedure is concerned they said that they can't recommend anyone other than the dealer work on components related to the SRS system and they certainly don't recommend installing used parts on any car :rolleyes:. I wonder if they realize every part on every one of every car everyone drives every day has used parts everywhere [cussing]

I think the used module is worth the gamble since Erie seems to think it works and they have a fairly solid reputation.

billr99
05-10-2013, 12:26 PM
"volvo is very proud of their modules"

Jeez, what BS that is. Wonder where buddy came up with that line?

Cheers,

Bill

mapper
05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah, never mind mine failed at about 70k...and the countless stories of DIM and ETM failures. Ironically when I was buying a Volvo my mother, not a car person, told me that her friends who have Volvos always have problems with some kind of module that seemingly never gets fixed despite spending 1000s attempting to fix it. Should have known, mother knows best! Those modules are definitely something to be "proud" of [cool2]

In his defense, I think the comment was intended as a sarcastic comment on the cost. I should have conveyed that part better in my earlier message.

mapper
05-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Erie says used modules get installed all the time and what matters in the matching part # and Bosch #. They suggested the ones the dealer has issue with are from non-matching installs. They told me to disconnect battery, R&R module, reconnect battery and get the codes cleared. My module is in transit from Erie and I hope its here in time for weekend install...along with the imIV thats been on my shelf for about a year!

mapper
01-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Ok, So I rectified this problem and, in fact, am still using my original module. See the whole, somewhat complex, story here:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?23762-Advice-for-replacing-main-airbag-module&p=169238#post169238