PDA

View Full Version : Cel & p0455, but....

llred210
07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
I've seen some post that indicate fuel cap, and the J Hose, but then others that say its not the J Hose.

2004 XC70 130K miles - original owner

In the past when my son pumps the gas - invariably the CEL would come on. He knows better - but sometimes forgets to turn it past several clicks. I clear the code and am good to go. Then about 2 months ago I tightened the cap and cleared the CEL but it came back within 2 days (and I had not gotten any gas). I have since tried clearing it, but it continues to come back on with the same code P0455. It was about the same time that the fuel cap rubber retainer cord broke (from age it looks like.) I couldn't see any relevance to it affecting the cap seal - but I could be wrong - stranger things have occurred with Volvo's.

I see from another post that it might be the Leak Detector. Where is the Leak Detector located? and how hard is it to get to?

Thanks Guys for any help!

JRL
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
You can try an aftermarket gas cap seal (couple of bucks vs 45 or so for a complete cap) but the problem is probably somewhere else in the system/
Retainer cord not related in any way

Aviator
07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
More than likely it's the leak detection pump leaking internally (large leak). Lower the rear exhaust, and you'll see the pump at the upper rear area of the fuel tank. It's black and white and has two large hoses and a connector attached to it. You'll need the exhaust down in order to get enough room to work at the pump. Regular hose clamps are fine to use when reinstalling the hoses. The first one of these pumps took me about 50 minutes to replace. I've got that time down to about 14 minutes now. That's on a hoist, mind you!

Dave.

JRL
07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Proper way is to to a leak detection pump test (at Volvo) before you start repalcing things.
There are a few hoses in P2 wagons (like the J hose) that are IMPOSSIBLE to see if they're cracked without removing stuff.

Aviator
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Proper way is to to a leak detection pump test (at Volvo) before you start repalcing things.
There are a few hoses in P2 wagons (like the J hose) that are IMPOSSIBLE to see if they're cracked without removing stuff.

Yes, a fuel system leak test is what would be done through VIDA. If the test fails, with a large or small leak detected, then you smoke the system and start looking for smoke to come out from any leak/s. If no smoke shows up, then you can be sure that the leak detection pump is leaking within itself. Given its location, it's extremely vulnerable to water intrusion and road debris buildup.

Dave.

llred210
07-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've got some time before I have to have the car inspected, so I may let this CEL continue for a little bit.

Astro14
07-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't recommend driving around with the CEL on for any length of time - something else goes wrong, you wouldn't know...and that something else could be detrimental to the longevity of the engine...