PDA

View Full Version : "hesitation" while driving?

berklee46
03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry if this ends up being a very simple answer, but this is my first experience with a Volvo, so I'm not sure if this is just typical of the cars. (I've owned Honda's for 16+ years).

I just got a 2001 XC and have found that when I'm driving, if I let up on the gas, then accelerate again, there seems to be a brief hesitation before the car "kicks in" again. Maybe a second (or even 1/2 second) where the pedal seems to do nothing, then it kicks in again. I'm not looking for a race car that will immediately spin the tires when you step on the gas, but I'm just trying to work out any bugs while the dealership will still correct them for me.

I thought I had read once that this may in fact be normal for these cars because of the turbo design?  Does anyone else experience this, or should I have it looked at?

Thanks,
Scott

AWD*V70XC
03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Welcome Scott, could you please go to your control panel on your next visit and put a location in for your whereabouts in the world then we will know where to direct you for local problems & fixes.

The question you asked is common worldwide, as you say it is because of the turbo, and you will find it all the time you do this, the car also has injectors which also play a part.

As this is your first volvo XC, just a couple of points,

1. never rev your engine up when switching off, if you have had high revs in the last few minutes, just let it idle for a short while to allow the engine 'calm down', say while you take your seatbelt off and put it into park and apply the handbrake.

2. If you ever need a tow make sure you get a full lift, otherwise you will **** the undercarraige for good.

3. Depending in the Halex/VC system on the car will depend on how you should change one or all the tires at that time. You will find lots on this subject on this section.

Otherwise you have purchased a very good car (IMO) and it should look after you for as long as you have it.

Welcome again http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

berklee46
03-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the quick reply and for the help. I just drove the car to work and paid attention to the RPM's and the "hesitation" and found that what seems to be happening is that when I let off the gas, even briefly, the RPM's drop back down to around 1000 or so, so the hesitation I am feeling are the RPM's coming back up to meet the engine speed.  I guess it's nothing to worry about.

I find the same problem when starting from a stop, say a stop light or stop sign.  Is it normal for the same hesitation to occur then?  I'm having the dealer look into what seems to be a "bucking" sensation that's happening after being stopped with the brakes on for 15-20 seconds...When you let off the brake, (even if you don't press the accelerator) there is a bit of a "buck" before the car starts moving.

Same issue?

Thanks again. I really like the car and look forward to learning more from this board.

TomGil
03-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Scott,

On my 2001XC, when at a stop with the brake depressed, the gearbox will switch to neutral.  You will feel a kick into gear when the accelerator is pressed in this situation.  Normal for 2001s, I have found after research here.  A very light foot on the brake at a stop, if possible, rectifies this for me.  Try it, and met me know.

Also, this characteristic does not exist when using the manual geartronic mode.

Tom

MichaelC
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Scott the same thing happened to my 2000XC. The cure was a new download to the computer followed by a drive by the Volvo service people where they taught the car the new program. Yep that's right - they taught the car!

It's been fine since.

Michael C

eraas
02-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Don't know if it will be the same on your 2000 but, based on info I learned in this forum, I had my dealer do VADIS updates for our gas pedal response and transmission. I was also having hesitation issues, making the car frankly quite unpleasant to drive. After the upgrade it was like a completely different car! I was suspecting this might be the case as I found a 2004 loaner XC70 I got recently drove quite differently from our pre-upgrade 2003.

Hope this helps - I would strongly recommend getting this done if it is possible. Hope it is applicable to your 2000.

er