PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Store A Car

XC70XC
07-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi All,

I am planning to go for a long holiday at the end of the year. Just like to know what steps to take to ensure my '02 V70XC will be running well after I am back.
Do I need to take out the battery lead(s) when the car in storage or just get someone to start her up every few days or so?

Thanks.
DC

MacNoob
07-01-2012, 06:26 AM
How long is long? Regardless, NEVER just 'start her up every few days or so'. Worst thing you can do.

JRL
07-01-2012, 06:36 AM
That's not true as long as you let it get up to operating temp.

How many websites are you going to ask this on without details?
how long is long?
Up to a month, do nothing

MacNoob
07-01-2012, 07:44 AM
That's not true as long as you let it get up to operating temp.

"just start it up" is a lot different from "take it out for a drive until everything is fully warmed up". If you can drive it regularly, that's a good thing. Cranking it up and letting it idle will not be very helpful.

JRL
07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
It really is OK if at least you back it up and move it forward 100'
Is it the best, no, but its OK for most cars.
Again, this is all moot, it depends on how long he's talking about

MacNoob
07-01-2012, 08:03 AM
this is all moot, it depends on how long, he's talking about

Yes Indeed!

coflynn
07-01-2012, 04:11 PM
FWIW: I stored my 2002 S60 for ~1.5 years in a driveway. I had insurance dropped completely on it, which meant everything was at my risk (cost of insurance wasn't worth it vs. risk). Someone would start it up, leave it running for a bit, move it up/down driveway a few times once a month (ish). Get them to run AC while doing it, pump brakes, move steering around, try to get everything moving, even if you have limited space. Rubber parts still wore out though, especially ones which didn't get moved (e.g.: my drivers window seal is very sticky now). Before storage I had fresh synthetic put in it which was changed upon returning. If your storage will be longer like that, it's worth thinking about what maintenance is coming up soon & you might just want to bump it up and get done right when you return (e.g.: belt replacements, engine mounts, other rubber stuff, fluids).

Check all the legal stuff too: make sure anything that you will need to get the car back on the road will still be valid. If you need emissions for example it might be easier to get it early and waste some months, rather than let it expire while you are away and then have to figure out requirements around getting your car to the garage without risking a ticket (depending on how risk-averse you are :) ).

It sounds like you are only storing for a few months, so I wouldn't worry too much. Having someone use it a few times would be good... better if they can really take it out to get everything moving! Remember many people store a car all winter, so shorter-term storage is pretty common.

Ocean Racer
07-01-2012, 09:03 PM
David, you will have a bigger risk of it being flooded than collecting cobwebs ;)

XC70XC
07-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Will be away for about 4 - 5 weeks.

XC70XC
07-02-2012, 05:08 AM
David, you will have a bigger risk of it being flooded than collecting cobwebs ;)

Ha ha. Think maybe you are right though my garage is higher than the street.

MacNoob
07-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Will be away for about 4 - 5 weeks.

Fill your tires to spec. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Have a nice trip.