PDA

View Full Version : Message Reduce Speed or Shift Up

Volvodownunder
06-28-2012, 06:23 AM
My daughter is having an issue with her 2009 XC70
When the vehicle is first started in the morning and still in "Park" the engine light remains on and the message "Reduce Speed or Shift Up" appears in the centre of the tacho below the temperature indicator. The engine initially runs at between 1500-2000rpm reduciong to between 600-700rpm and idles very rough. When turing the know on the turn indicator the engine light goes off and the message disappears. When "Drive" is engaged and the vehicle moves off the engine still runs very rough as if it is being starved of petrol. After a few minutes driving the engine runs normally. At the 45000klm service the dealer was not able to locate a cause and indiated that they has not encountered the problem before. The problem has continued and the dealer has made enquiries of Volvo Australia and received the response "it was not a known concern" and suggest it be checked on the system checker.
Thanks in advance for any assistance in resolving the issue through this forum.

cattlecar
07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I have seen that message on cars that overheated but it was after the engine had been run for a time.
There may be a problem with the coolant temp sensor on engine. If the dealer uses VIDA to monitor the engine temp for accuracy (it says coolant temp is 105C and you can hold the upper or lower radiator hose w/o getting burned would not be accurate).
The high idle and then rough idle when it drops to more or less normal speed is consistent with the default failure effects management of bad coolant temp sensor.
I'm surprised there were no codes when dealer investigated.

Tell dealer to use customer symptom codes in VIDA to help with diagnostics. If they don't know what that is then they definitely need to talk with the factory support in AUS.

Volvodownunder
07-20-2012, 03:01 AM
Prior to having the vehicle checked a couple of more matters came to light - the drivers window would not always respond correctly when opening and closing and the vehicle would on occasions refuse to start when the key was inserted and the start button pressed. The servicing dealer connected the vehicle to VIDA and it returned a number of faults - all relating to the battery. On inspection it was found that the battery was weeping around the negative post and severe acid corrosion had worked its was up into the plastic protective coating of the negative battery lead. No other faults were detected. A new battery and negative lead have been fitted. Hopefully that will resolve the initial issues and subsequent ones.
Thanks to cattlecar for offering advice.

Volvodownunder
08-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Unfortunately the fitting of a new battery did not resolve the issue of the message. The dealer has contacted Vovlo Australia who indicated that they had no idea what the problem was as they had not encountered it previously. They advised the dealer to get the vehicle back and again put it on the VIDA to see if any new codes appeared.

Umo2005
11-17-2014, 09:17 AM
My daughter is having an issue with her 2009 XC70
When the vehicle is first started in the morning and still in "Park" the engine light remains on and the message "Reduce Speed or Shift Up" appears in the centre of the tacho below the temperature indicator. The engine initially runs at between 1500-2000rpm reduciong to between 600-700rpm and idles very rough. When turing the know on the turn indicator the engine light goes off and the message disappears. When "Drive" is engaged and the vehicle moves off the engine still runs very rough as if it is being starved of petrol. After a few minutes driving the engine runs normally. At the 45000klm service the dealer was not able to locate a cause and indiated that they has not encountered the problem before. The problem has continued and the dealer has made enquiries of Volvo Australia and received the response "it was not a known concern" and suggest it be checked on the system checker.
Thanks in advance for any assistance in resolving the issue through this forum.

Hi,
I recently purchased a S80 (2008 3.2 front wheel) and I am experiencing the same symptoms you had with your xc70. I was wandering if you have determined where the issue is coming from. Thank you.

slayer8870
11-17-2014, 01:37 PM
it might be an issue with software on any of the car's modules. Ask the dealer to check for software updates for the car. Hopefully this helps.

Umo2005
11-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Before I buy the car there was an issue with the DSTC (service require). The clock spring had to be replaced and a software downloaded to the car (done by the dealer). The DSTC light is still on because the issue was not the clock spring but the actual sensor. But I dont believe the DSTC might be related to the current issues. May be vacuum leak, but again no additional codes.