PDA

View Full Version : Should I give up on her?

aa235301
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
I have an XC70 with 180,000 mi on it that has been having oil leak problems for the last year or so. Cabin smells like oil due to the oil leaking on the exhaust. Twice in the last year it's had breather box problems. Now it's leaking oil though the valve cover gasket. Dealer is quoting $850 repair. I'm trying to make the decision on whether to put this one out to pasture and find a new car or to make the repair. I'm sure I can get the repair done cheaper through an independent but even if I do that is it likely I'll see oil leaks somewhere else in the engine due to pressure against other old seals in the engine? The car also probably needs new brakes soon so I am really thinking about selling it off and letting someone else deal with the issues. Looking for thoughts/questions here on what to do. In the last year I've spent about $1700 in repairs. Suspect the car isn't worth much more than that now.

goldxc70
06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
What model year is it? It seems to me that a dealer charge of $850 is not very high and that they pretty much know what is wrong with it. The decision to dump it is a very personal one. If you're pee'd off with the car, that is the best thing to do. If you still enjoy it, then see about the repair from a reliable indy shop. You're not going to get much of a car for $850 plus cost of brakes.

aa235301
06-26-2012, 08:29 AM
What model year is it? It seems to me that a dealer charge of $850 is not very high and that they pretty much know what is wrong with it. The decision to dump it is a very personal one. If you're pee'd off with the car, that is the best thing to do. If you still enjoy it, then see about the repair from a reliable indy shop. You're not going to get much of a car for $850 plus cost of brakes.

Update: just talked to my independent, had him do a look at it and he said all it needed was a turbo rebuild in the $600 range. It's actually burning oil, not leaking it. Independent thought it was in fantastic condition for it's age. My wife loves the car and is happy to drive it for another year or more. Mechanically the rest of the car seems sound...not a spot of rust on the body. In the cabin everything is still functional, heated seats, electric seats, etc.

TheDarkKnightt
06-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd say keep it.
Once done, start weening it onto synthetic, if you haven't already. Didn't mention what year it is...
I've got 311K on mine and I'm pulling a one 1400lb. trailer with it regularly- it's a good car if run like a "scalded dog." [thumbup]

Forkster
06-26-2012, 10:17 AM
The P2 XC70 is a great car. I'd hold onto it as long as you can.

aa235301
06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
It's an 01, so it's getting on in years. But all indications are the car is in great shape for it's age and I should be able to get a year or more out of it now before I have to make any decisions on it. Other than synthetic oil, any other recommendations to squeeze as much time as possible out of this car?

MacNoob
06-29-2012, 03:52 PM
How's the transmission? That seems to be what kills the majority of '01s. Go read the sticky about Gibbons method transmission fluid change.