PDA

View Full Version : First snow, first time with electronic awd

XCMark
11-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Denver got it's first significant snowfall this morning (and still snowing) so I took out the XC so I could familiarize myself with the electronic AWD and compare what it does to the 4WD I was used to for 7+ years. I first drove it on the road, in traffic, stopped, started, turned, checked all the heater controls, defrosters, etc. Then I took it to a wide open, empty, snow/ice packed parking lot where I exaggerated certain turns, stops, etc., and this is what I observed:

1. My first concern: while stopped at a light and ready to make a left turn, I treated the turn as if on a dry day, meaning I didn't baby the turn reeaaall slow, so I could see how the reation would be. I turned normally and was surprised (disappointed?) that the wheels slipped and I actually fishtailed significantly. I thought the power went to the wheels that slipped?

2. Applying the brakes (not slamming or abruptly) the pedal vibrated very noticeably, but I presume that was the ABS working... my last 4WD SUV (5-spd manual) had ABS but I never felt any vibrations. Normal?

3. Still a bit confused after reading the manual with regard to defrosters... I hit the buttons and it automatically turns the AC (normal for condensation control says the manual). Fine, but my wipers had ice clumped to them and therefore would not clean the front windshield at all! Not very safe driving if ice droplets are in my field of vision. Tips on how to keep the wipers from freezing? Should I not use intermittant, allowing the wipers to accumulate buildup?

4. The W-mode: Manual says it works from a stopped position on wet/icy roads, but is it bad to keep it on? Does it really help in overall driving? I read a different thread that some folks thought this was a useless feature on 2003 and newer... I thought it helped, but maybe my imagination.

5. On the empty parking lot, I exaggerated sharp turns, speeding, stopping abruptly, quick starts from a stop, and anything else I could think of that I or my wife may need to do so we could understand all the available goodies. I don't have DTSC. I realize now, that maybe I was expecting the XC to don a superhero cape and become this infallible batmobile that never slipped, slided, etc. I was excited to hit the snowy roads and see what all this AWD talk was about. Of course, we still need to drive with caution, and I noticed the slippage/fishtailing on turns went away with slooower driving. I wanted to see what would be different, what would happen.

I want my wife to feel comfortable driving this thing correctly and safely. I welcome any feedback, tips and acknowledgements that I just might be an idiot for thinking cars become indestructible.

Thanks for all comments!

Respectfully,

Mark (and Kari)

Outrageous
11-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Do you have snow tires?  They make a BIG difference in traction.  
Pedal pulsation is normal when the ABS is operating.  It's a useful gauge to hit the brakes when you start out to see how slippery it is.

Big
11-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Tires make a big difference. If you are running the stock all-season rubber some slipping and longer stopping distance can be expected. The most treacherous traction is often at intersections where the snow has been compressed into ice and made slick by engine heat. I've seen cars with studded tires slide right through intersections before the sander gets there.

Pedal vibration is normal with the ABS. It's a very active system. Just keep your foot on it and it will do the job.

Ice clumps that block vision have been a problem with every car I have driven. I take the time to clean the wipers and keep the blades in good condition. Some people pull the wipers away from the windshield when parked during cold weather. This makes it easier to clean the windshield and helps keep the wiper from collecting ice or even freezing to the windshield. You may still have to knock ice off the wiper in severe weather.

The defroster on the XC90 seems effective. The controls are the same as the XC70. In fact, it gets too hot for me so I switch the defroster on and off as needed. The button should be closer to the driver.

The throttle response is so easy to modulate that I have never found a need for the transmission's Winter mode. Maybe some day. To me the XC in all its variations is a great winter car.

Chipshot
11-22-2003, 07:46 PM
I find my XC70 fantastic in the snow, but can understand how previous experiences might influence one's reaction.  It's my first AWD car, and my previous ride was a 2001 S80 T6.  That car had enormous power and a very agressive traction control system.  I always got where I was going in it, but it was obviously not the car's best environment.  So perhaps my positive reaction to the XC70 is "colored" in the opposite direction of yours.  While snow tires will help (I don't have them), there's just no overcoming a lack of available traction.

XCMark
11-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Hi, thanks for the input, all!
No, I do not have snow tires. That would explain a bit of the slippage on the turn (fishtailing) when I was 'pushing' it (going too fast to test it).

I went back out and drove more 'reasonably' considering the conditions and it did perform much, much better as I am learning what to feel for and so on. I could feel all the tires 'grip' and work like I could with my 4WD. It is comforting.

Basically I want to get used to what to feel for and expect so I can help my wife understand what to feel. I want her to maximize what the car can do and be safe, but also not to expect the car to perform miracles by driving unreasonably.

I do agree, the addition of snow tires would make a much larger difference in performance. Have to see if it's in the budget...

Thanks and keep the tips coming!

Chipshot
11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (XCMark @ Nov. 24 2003,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do agree, the addition of snow tires would make a much larger difference in performance. Have to see if it&#39;s in the budget...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How long are you planning to keep your XC70? If 3+ years, you might find that using snow tires will let you avoid having to purchase a replacement set of &quot;summer rubber.&quot; So if new tires are already somewhere in the car&#39;s future, why not select a set of tires geared for maximum winter traction and buy them now?

XCMark
11-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Chipshot,
So you&#39;re saying I should invest in the winter tires, switch out the &#39;summers&#39; and I&#39;ll get longer use out of the summer tires (both sets, actually if I keep swapping them out)...

Makes sense... Now I&#39;ll have to do a board search for folks&#39; preferences on good snow tires for the XC...

kullenberg
11-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Another route you might consider is the Nokian WR, which is a M/S tire but it is winter rated, and gives good performance under extreme winter conditions. Nokian&#39;s web site is : http://www.nokiantires.com/ &nbsp;These tire are made in Finland, and they KNOW SNOW&#33;&#33; &nbsp;
http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

budrichard
11-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Your lack of DSTC would have helped you in the situations you mentioned i.e. sharp turns under power, it is very hard for me to spin my 03XC with DSTC. It can be done but you have to be serious about it. The DSTC uses the anti lock so it feels like the anti lock pulsations you describe which are normal. do not expect any vehicle to de-ice wipers that are iced up. As others have said SOP is to break the ice off manually before driving. when I finish driving whether in my garage or outside, I always remove the ice from the entire vehicle.
The W MODE is only of use in extreme slippery conditions and not for deep snow as you start in third gear and don&#39;t have the power. Others contradict me but I have tested the feature in deep snow. -Dick

Chipshot
11-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Are there any significant differences between the AWD systems used in the XC70 and the V70 AWD?

Some vehicles have heated windshield wiper rest areas, which I would think might help a bit with icy wipers. &nbsp;Heated washer fluid might help too, at least in the short term. &nbsp;And oh how I would like a heated steering wheel&#33;

1Lieutenant
11-25-2003, 11:57 AM
And always remember, no amount of goodies can overcome the laws of physics. &nbsp;

Steve