PDA

View Full Version : Help! Fuel cap door won't unlock

XCHauler
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
The fuel cap door on my 01 XC remains locked even if the doors are unlocked. I have checked the 15 amp fuse (#8) in the cargo compartment and it seems OK.

I did replace the hinges a couple of years ago but this is the first problem that I have had with the fuel cap door.

Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem?

Jeremy
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Mine wouldn't unlock when I was out of gas and late for a game [cussing]. Pulled really hard on the door until the tab where the plunger goes in on the door broke off. Works fine now other than not locking.
Jeremy

wgriswold
06-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Do a search on this site there are several solutions that people have posted. I seem to remember hitting the side next to the door or getting into the area from behind by opening the area up from the cargo area.

BillAileo
06-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I believe there is a pull cord hidden inside behind the panel lining the wall next to the filler door that will manually release the door.

XCHauler
06-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I ended up removing the carpeted side panel in the cargo bay and the acoustical felt panel behind it that was secured by three blue clips. The fuel door lock motor was then accessible and then I retracted the shaft on the motor and lubricated it with some white lithium grease and it seems to be working fine now.

I did not see any type of pull cord behind the side panel however!

Hopefully this will work, if not, I can probably remove the panel again in about 10-15 minutes if the fuel door decides not to open for me.

Thanks for the help anyways

Astro14
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
XC Hauler did what i would have done...this was an issue with vacuum locks on my old MB...and after many years, it just needed a little grease to work correctly.

The lock solenoid is available from IPD or Tasca if it's just plain dead when you look at it...