06-06-2012, 10:23 PM
1999 Volvo V70XC
T-5 CVVT
194K miles

DTC: P0014

Issue

Some times long crank ~5-8 sec at most
Intermittent RPM surge Example: hold steady one gas and RPM's go from 1500-2000
Intermittent rough Idle (dose not happen alot)

Done:
5- 30 Full synthetic Oil prem filter
Timing looks good
Belt done @150K (prev owner says not confirmed) belt looks good and is nice and tight.
CVVT solenoid has be removed and cleaned
camshaft position sensor removed and inspected looks good

from what i have read this is a common issue with 1st gin V70XC
is there a (easy) way to test for sure if the camshaft position sensor or CVVT is at fault?

the closest Volvo dealer/shop is 1 1/2 hrs away (-_-)

I have read other treads using the search but has not solved any problems yet

thanks for any help! [thumbup]

maniagokm
06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Its been a long time ago, but I remember having P0014 a bunch. I'm racking my brain to remember what we did, but I do remember that about the same time we replaced the cat converter. I believe P0014 is related to emissions and can get set when the gas cap is not on proper (the infamous gas cap issue). I thought that was my problem, but I'm pretty sure it was when the cat went south...Anyway, it hasn't returned since the cat got done so you might go there. Seems plausible since you are having hard starting problems and it could be the back pressure/plugged cat issue. A quick check would be to crack the bolts to the cat/exhaust junction and see how it starts then. Would be loud of course...

If I'm off on what P0014 is, someone please correct me.

JRL
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Why did you respond?
You don't know the answer and nothing you said had anything to do with his issue.

•P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) - See Trouble Code P0011

(Usually this means the timing is off a tooth or two. bad T-belt install, bad VVT sensor, etc)

maniagokm
06-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Jeeze. Sorry. I made a mistake. I forgot what P0014 was. I don't memorize the fault codes, and I noted it had been a long time ago. Clearly there was no malice intended as I was trying to help because I thought it was an emissions code. Maybe it was P0049 I confused it with.

No need to be a jerk about it. After 6600 some odd posts, you ought to have been able to figure out which code I was referring to, and politely corrected me. But no, got to take the "holier than thou route". Not much of a senior member attitude you have.

JRL
06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
If you forget that's certainly not a crime, posting what you think it is, IS a crime!
It's holier than..., I look it up first

People tend to go with the fact that if someone posts something more or less definitive, they go off in that direction and then they are wasting their own time.
I don't memorize either (but in this case I do know what that code is).

Bookmark this and use it when you're not sure, it comes in handy:

http://www.check-engine-light.com/trouble-codes

There is no 049 code

maniagokm
06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=JRL;148988]If you forget that's certainly not a crime, posting what you think it is, IS a crime!

That's the dumbest thing I've heard. Noone knows what "it" is all the time, though I suppose you seem to think you do. That makes
you dangerous.

Its not a crime to post what you think, even if you are wrong. Ever heard of brainstorming? That's what these websites are all about - honest give and take of ideas, without malice. I repeat "WITHOUT MALICE".
Christ man, have some patience with people.

Thanks for the link; its 442 which was my problem. At least I have some humility.

ecbsykes
06-10-2012, 07:52 AM
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21162

There's my thread on replacing the CVVT solenoid. If your timing belt hasn't been touched, then this is most likely your problem. I was getting Code P1332 in addition to P0014, and replacing that little device cured it all!

Ovlov-V70XC
06-10-2012, 07:10 PM
timing is good, CVVT solenoid i could manually trigger three or four time then it would lock up so that seem to be the issue.

and thanks for the help ^.^