PDA

View Full Version : New xc owner q's

turbocon86
09-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Looking for some good advice.

Does anyone know a good way to get baked on brake dust off XC wheels? I've got a couple of spots that even a pressure washer won't take off. Also, if I do get it off, is there a product I can apply to the wheels to keep it from baking on in the future? I've considered misting them with dish detergent (an old boy scout trick for pots and pans used over an open fire).

Also need a resource for Volvo parts. Specifically a rear interior passenger side door panel for a 2002. We had our first "incident" and the beige leather in that panel was torn. >:-(

littlewaywelt
09-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Invest in some wheel cleaner. It will make removal a snap, assuming that it hasn't been on there an extraordinary amount of time. Stay away from acidic based wheel cleaners as they can etch your wheels. You can take an acidic wheel cleaner and dilute it with water usually, so that you don't damage the wheels. Never spray wheel cleaners on hot wheels. You can find wheel cleaner at your local autoparts store, dealer or online. I have found that most of the better products are easiest to locate either online or through catalogs. Try Griots catalog.

For what is sure to be an expensive part like the vinyl door panel, I would suggest that you get a membership with Volvo Club of America, which will often yield a 10-20% discount on parts.  It's about $30/year and will pay for itself quickly.

turbocon86
09-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned I used a wheel cleaner already. One that works remarkably well on my Saab SPG wheels but didn't get all the baked on dust off the XC's.

Thanks for the advice on the Volvo Club. My local dealer wants $350 for a new panel. I thought there might be an online resource.

littlewaywelt
09-04-2003, 02:01 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (turbocon86 @ Sep. 04 2003,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, I should have mentioned I used a wheel cleaner already. One that works remarkably well on my Saab SPG wheels but didn&#39;t get all the baked on dust off the XC&#39;s.

Thanks for the advice on the Volvo Club. My local dealer wants &#036;350 for a new panel. I thought there might be an online resource.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Use a tooth brush with a little acidic wheel cleaner and it will come right off. &nbsp;Follow that with a liberal rinsing.

There are several online parts sources. &nbsp;Several are sponsors at http://www.swedespeed.com/

Low Tide
09-04-2003, 03:48 PM
I have used &quot;Finish Line&quot; Bike Wash with great success. It makes washing later easier. &nbsp;There a thread on my suggestion somewhere. &nbsp;REI carries big spray bottles for &nbsp;&#036;8. &nbsp;The product is used on high-end bikes to keep the frame and components clean and rust-free. &nbsp;It&#39;s quite safe on powder-coats and is completely biodegradable. &nbsp;

Be persistent with spots early on- no etching allowed&#33;

As for topcoating the wheels, try Klasse All-in-One. &nbsp;It is a syn-wax coat that will put a nice glaze on the wheels- making the brake dust wash right off. &nbsp;I use it as the primary &quot;wax&quot; coat on the car. &nbsp;Stays quite shiny and easy to wash. &nbsp;

After getting them completely clean.... and using these two products, it doesn&#39;t take me more than 10 minutes to do all four wheels during subsequent washings. &nbsp;Make sure you hand dry them on occasion with a soft rag to get any dust that is left behind from washing.