PDA

View Full Version : Weird ac/transmission issue

EMTDrexler
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I know these have nothing to do with one another but its a little weird. I was on my way home and at 58 mph you would feel the transmission kinda jerk. When I got home and turned the car off, 15 min later I came out to what sounded like a "blower" under the hood, I had air coming out all the vents.. with the car off?? Is that normal ?

cattlecar
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
The jerk may have been the torque converter locking. Look next time it occurs to see if the RPM drops 200-400 RPM.
The blower was afterblow function. When a/c has been used and ambient temp is over 25C then the blower will come on a time after car is shut off to dry the evaporator to inhibit biological growth and its odor from evaporator.

EMTDrexler
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
The jerk may have been the torque converter locking. Look next time it occurs to see if the RPM drops 200-400 RPM.
The blower was afterblow function. When a/c has been used and ambient temp is over 25C then the blower will come on a time after car is shut off to dry the evaporator to inhibit biological growth and its odor from evaporator. The RPM's don't move. Interesting about the blower tho Thanks

billr99
06-02-2012, 01:38 AM
I know these have nothing to do with one another but its a little weird. I was on my way home and at 58 mph you would feel the transmission kinda jerk. When I got home and turned the car off, 15 min later I came out to what sounded like a "blower" under the hood, I had air coming out all the vents.. with the car off?? Is that normal ?

When this jerk occurred, was the AC on? If so, you will feel a slight jerk or shudder occasionally when the AC clutch engages as there is additional load on the engine with the AC on. In turn and especially if the car is over-running the engine a bit, it will feel like you went into freewheel when the AC clutch disengages. Remember that it takes horsepower to turn your ancillary gear (alternator, AC, etc.) and the AC compressor is a cyclical device turning on and off during normal operation.

Cheers,

Bill