PDA

View Full Version : Do you or don't you? Really...

Howard_Woodard
05-29-2012, 09:23 PM
First, some background to make clear what I am not asking about...

I know that the pre-2002 VC70 XC Turbos used the Magneti Marelli Throttle Body and that:

(1) It was trouble prone

(2) It got a software update from Volvo and you can tell if it did by the yellow sticker on it vs the white original one.

(3) If you replaced it with a new one you had to get the dealer to install/run some software to "mate" the new unit to the ECM.

(4) XeMODeX will provide a re-built/mod'd unit with the software already installed. No dealer action required, just plug-and-play.

(5) Some V70 XCs w/o turbos continued to use the MM unit for a while in early 2002

I am not asking about any of the above.

============================================

My question is about the 2002 V70 XC AWD with the 2.4L Turbo and it's new Bosch throttle body.

I have read that the dealer doesn't need to do anything after you install a new one because it will self-initialize if you turn the ignition on for 2 minutes without starting the engine.

I have read briefer versions of that insofar as they simply said that, unlike the MM units, the new Bosch TBs didn't need to be taken to the dealer.

I have also read some posts that say that the Bosch has to be taken to the dealer for the same reason and process as the Magneti Marelli units did.

One of the online parts houses had a note on the Bosch part saying "May (emphasis mine) require reprogramming at the car dealership".

Another parts provider made no mention of the need for additional programming by the dealer.

My question is does anyone know the definitive answer? If I install a new-out-of-the-box Bosch throttle body in my 2002 Volvo V70 XC AWD 2.4L Turbo will I really need to take it in to the dealer to get it to work properly?

It would be interesting to hear from a tech who has done this [and not at a Volvo dealership] and knows the answer for sure and from experience.

howardc64
05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Xemodex is a well known rebuilder of 01 ETMs. They also seems to be doing an 02 ETM with contactless sensor. You might contact them on your question on if software reload is necessary

http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/cars/etb-30711554

By the way, how do you know the ETM is bad? Best be sure before throwing money at it. You are near me and I have the VIDA/DiCE tool which has an ETM test feature. I don't know if it works for 02+, we can give it a try. Just PM.

Aviator
05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
My question is does anyone know the definitive answer? If I install a new-out-of-the-box Bosch throttle body in my 2002 Volvo V70 XC AWD 2.4L Turbo will I really need to take it in to the dealer to get it to work properly?

Yes, you will have to pay a visit to the dealer for adaptation of the electronic throttle unit. The engine won't start without the software loading.

Dave.

Howard_Woodard
05-30-2012, 05:59 PM
The car won't crank, much less run in "Limp Home" mode?

So unless I'm gonna have the car towed in I have no choice but to pay the dealership for installing the ETM?

Aviator
05-30-2012, 06:21 PM
The car won't crank, much less run in "Limp Home" mode?

It'll crank....just not start.

So unless I'm gonna have the car towed in I have no choice but to pay the dealership for installing the ETM?

It's up to you. You can install it, and save a few bucks which you can put towards the tow, or you can just have the dealer do it all for you.

Dave.

howardc64
05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Aviator:

Going to hook up my VIDA/DiCE to Ops car this weekend. Know if my VIDA/DiCE can calibrate a newly installed ETM for him rather than going to the dealer? Or does it require software download which requires a subscription which I obviously don't have.

I have 01s so unfamiliar with the 02+ ETMs.

Aviator
05-30-2012, 06:42 PM
You should be able to do just a software reload, but it would be great to have the most current software. I think you'll be stuck with the reload though, given your setup.

Dave.

Aviator
05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
A word of advice. When you're running VIDA, you'll need to have the ignition on; make sure you've got a charger hooked up to the jump points under the hood so you can maintain over 12 to 12.5 volts at all times. This applies when doing anything with VIDA. At work we call them maintainers. It's crucial with software upgrades, key programming, etc.

Dave.

Howard_Woodard
05-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks Dave. I don't have to like the answer, it just has to be correct.

Do you know what is required to be able to download the proper software to the vehicle?

howardc64
05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
You should be able to do just a software reload, but it would be great to have the most current software. I think you'll be stuck with the reload though, given your setup.

Dave.

Thanks for the info Dave. Like to confirm one thing on the reload. Is the current ETM software stored somewhere externally so VIDA/DiCE can trigger a reload to the new ETM? Or is there some way to read it, store it on PC and reload it into the new ETM?

Dealers around Op/I have really high mark up on parts. I asked for an oil filter element once and they quote me $18! and that was 6 years ago. I can understand why the Ops prefer to DIY install of a more reasonably priced online ETM purchase to save on the high marks.

Aviator
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
My bad!! Sorry, the software has to be downloaded/ordered (and paid for), and installed. Hence the need to visit the dealer. VIDA doesn't store the software...it has to be ordered through the program and that requires a subscription (which has stipulations). It's extremely proprietary. It's probably for the better anyway. In the wrong hands things could get messy. I actually replaced an ETM on an '04 XC70 today. I tried to start it and it cranked for a good 30 seconds, it started and immediately quit as if the key had been turned off. So, that's totally undriveable.....loaded the software, hit the key, and that's all - done!! Runs like a top!!

Dave.

Aviator
05-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Do you know what is required to be able to download the proper software to the vehicle?

A proper subscription, the latest VIDA software update (which we just had installed 2 days ago), a DICE unit, maintainer. I'm not sure what the DICE clones are capable of but I do know there is also a firmware update (that just showed up today) ready to go for ours at work. Looks like you're stuck with seeking a higher power.

Dave.

billr99
05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
A proper subscription, the latest VIDA software update (which we just had installed 2 days ago), a DICE unit, maintainer. I'm not sure what the DICE clones are capable of but I do know there is also a firmware update (that just showed up today) ready to go for ours at work. Looks like you're stuck with seeking a higher power.

Dave.

The clones will accept the firmware updates which are also available off the Volvo website. Or I should say, my clone accepted the last firmware update as I just read here about the latest.

Dave, are you working at the dealer now? If so, can I request you if I come up for a TCM update?

Cheers,

Bill

Howard_Woodard
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info Dave.

Regards

Aviator
05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Dave, are you working at the dealer now? If so, can I request you if I come up for a TCM update?

I can neither confirm nor deny that.:D

Asking for me may or may not be the best thing in my situation (my boss may not take too kindly - I have to stay somewhat "distanced" from forum speak at work), although I'm flattered that you said that! I would certainly like to meet you, by all means, but a TCM update would most likely go to Mike, the top Volvo tech in the shop. He just did one, 2 weeks ago, on an '01 from Ontario that still had the stop neutral programming in it!! I know what the latest software feels like in transmission performance, and it's nice, but I still like what came in my '02 and the way it shifts. When you come, just come 'round the shop entrance and you might see me across from the Coke machine.

netasp
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Yes, you will have to pay a visit to the dealer for adaptation of the electronic throttle unit. The engine won't start without the software loading.

Dave.

Guys,

I need to replace my throttle body and I was wondering if there is any difference between the BOSCH throttle body and the one sold at the Volvo dealer, beside price, will the BOSCH work just fine? it's about $200 cheaper than Volvo dealer part.

Will the dealer be able to program BOSCH throttle? or will he tell me to buy it from them directly?

thanks

JRL
02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Same thing just no "blue box"

netasp
02-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Same thing just no "blue box"

JRL,

someone told me this BOSCH doesn't need software upgrade, reset all codes and plug it in and turn the ignition for 2 minutes and it will re-initialize itself and some said (including the vendor) the dealer will need to upgrade the software on this unit otherwise the engine won't start.

what do you think?