PDA

View Full Version : 2003 XC70 False Alarms

budrichard
05-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Did a SEARCH but nothing relevant.
My 2003 XC 70 has alarmed at least three time sitting in the driveway.
The first time when we got to it and before I hit the OPEN button, the alarm had stopped but the marker lights were still flashing. Checked vehicle over, open and close doors and hatch.
About a week later, last night, thought I heard the car alarm twice. We are in the country, so there are other cars around but its not likely it ws another car but remotely possible. Each time I inspected the car, it was locked and not alarming when I got to it.
Finally switched with another car and put it in the garge unlocked.
I locked it this morning and will see if it alarms again.
Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the solution?
Thanks for any replies.-Dick
BTW Remotely possible, tampering with the car, first to get it to alarm and the owner to unlock it, which I didn't. Second time I had my SIG in my hand, so maybe that cured the problem? We are semi-remote which is good and bad, anyone around if not a resident is easily identifiable.

billr99
05-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Did a SEARCH but nothing relevant.
My 2003 XC 70 has alarmed at least three time sitting in the driveway.
The first time when we got to it and before I hit the OPEN button, the alarm had stopped but the marker lights were still flashing. Checked vehicle over, open and close doors and hatch.
About a week later, last night, thought I heard the car alarm twice. We are in the country, so there are other cars around but its not likely it ws another car but remotely possible. Each time I inspected the car, it was locked and not alarming when I got to it.
Finally switched with another car and put it in the garge unlocked.
I locked it this morning and will see if it alarms again.
Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the solution?
Thanks for any replies.-Dick
BTW Remotely possible, tampering with the car, first to get it to alarm and the owner to unlock it, which I didn't. Second time I had my SIG in my hand, so maybe that cured the problem? We are semi-remote which is good and bad, anyone around if not a resident is easily identifiable.

It's your alarm module. With the age of your car, it is about time that the NiMH battery in the module give up the ghost. The symptoms you describe are exactly what happened to mine (we also live in a remote area where car-tampering just doesn't happen).

It is possible to remove the module and replace the battery IF you have a module where the circuit board hasn't been corroded by battery acid or you can find a suitable NiMH battery (I got mine of eBay). On the other hand, Eire Vo-Vo has them used fairly cheap just make sure you get one from a newer car so that you have a bit of time before the battery in that one goes. Finally, you can buy new which runs somewhere in the $200-275 range which is robbery considering what the module consists of. Regardless of which option you choose, removal and emplacement of the module isn't that bad and can be seen here (http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17479).

Good luck,

Bill

budrichard
05-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Thank you very much. Car will sit unlocked in garage until I talk with my Independant Volvo mechanic, Ben's Volvo in Libertyville. Darren knows own the place and does very good work. -Dick

MacNoob
05-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Hah. As soon as I saw the thread title I thought, "Hmm, if this was my old Saab 9-5 I'd say the battery or capacitors in the alarm module are toast".

Apparently all Swedish cars have the same issues! (PCV is another big 9-5 thing).

Willy
05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
You could pull the fuse of the siren module (I think it is Nr.38). The alarm will then remain functional, but silent :o
But, as Bill pointed out in a similar topic, the sun roof won't work either.
Willy

BillAileo
05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
I was getting "Alarm Service Required" messages the past couple days in our 2005 S80 AWD and was hoping it was the battery pack. Using the information at the link Bill provided (Thank you Bill!) I pulled the unit. Unfortunately it is not the battery pack but a fried circuit board. From looking at the damage I believe water got in through the wiring connector. So tomorrow I hunt for an alarm module.

chipenter
05-28-2012, 01:18 PM
I have replaced the alarm modual all was fine for about 6 months , then the alarm would go of at odd times , turned out to be the rear wiring to the tail gate , a bunch of broken wires and one would touch another and set the alarm off , try setting reduced alarm for pets and you will still have security.

MacNoob
05-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Hah. As soon as I saw the thread title I thought, "Hmm, if this was my old Saab 9-5 I'd say the battery or capacitors in the alarm module are toast".

Apparently all Swedish cars have the same issues! (PCV is another big 9-5 thing).

You could pull the fuse of the siren module (I think it is Nr.38). The alarm will then remain functional, but silent :o
But, as Bill pointed out in a similar topic, the sun roof won't work either.
Willy

I have replaced the alarm modual all was fine for about 6 months , then the alarm would go of at odd times , turned out to be the rear wiring to the tail gate , a bunch of broken wires and one would touch another and set the alarm off , try setting reduced alarm for pets and you will still have security.

Oh now that is just getting creepy. On the Saab you could pull fuse #14 to disable the alarm - but you also gave up air conditioning! (I'd rather use the sunroof).

And, the sedans had a big problem with the wiring to the trunk breaking/shorting - causing problems with taillights, alarms, etc etc....

Really, the same guys designed both these vehicles?

v70+xc70
05-29-2012, 12:15 PM

They probably do share those parts, but at least Volvo is still in business

MacNoob
05-29-2012, 01:52 PM
It's a sad situation - somehow Ford was able successfully to sell Volvo to the Chinese (and now Ford and Volvo are still doing very well) when GM refused to even consider qualified bidders for Saab due to 'intellectual property concerns' and refusing to license any current Saab technology.