PDA

View Full Version : ABS message/car won't start

Philvolv
05-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey I'm the new guy that posted recently about the travails of my 01XC. Well today I add to the saga. I will not start. Check engine light comes on and there is a message about abs break service. Would this be about the ABS control module? If so I understand the best thing is to have it rebuilt.How accessible is it?BTW the car has about 99000 miles and no such component has yet been replaced.
Help is appreciated
thanks

JRL
05-26-2012, 02:06 PM
It should have absolutely nothing to do with your car not starting

howardc64
05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
ABS module is easy to take out, need an E5 socket. You can even drive the car with it out but transmission will shift a little rougher as I recall. Lots of online rebuilders (cut it open and resolder the weak area). Lots of info here

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

And yes, ABS failure has nothing to do with your car not starting. Although it is interesting if it all happened at once.

On the car won't start issue, what are the symptoms? does it crank? additional description would be helpful.

Volky_one
05-27-2012, 05:47 AM
I drove my 98 V70 for a few days with my abs module out for repair and all went well, however my 2002 V70XC when I took the module out I could only start the car and after a few seconds car would shut off with ABS warning light on. I did not know the trick to keep engine on.

howardc64
05-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I drove my 98 V70 for a few days with my abs module out for repair and all went well, however my 2002 V70XC when I took the module out I could only start the car and after a few seconds car would shut off with ABS warning light on. I did not know the trick to keep engine on.

hmmm interesting. I have only done ABS module removal on an early build (4/2000) T5 and it drove with the ABS module out. I think 02+ changed the ABS module design, they failed much less and appears the car can't be driven with it out from your experience.

Philvolv
05-27-2012, 10:09 AM
ABS module is easy to take out, need an E5 socket. You can even drive the car with it out but transmission will shift a little rougher as I recall. Lots of online rebuilders (cut it open and resolder the weak area). Lots of info here

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

And yes, ABS failure has nothing to do with your car not starting. Although it is interesting if it all happened at once.

On the car won't start issue, what are the symptoms? does it crank? additional description would be helpful.

Engine does not crank. Makes a clicking sound and instrument lights do come on. Might it be a starter issue?

howardc64
05-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Engine does not crank. Makes a clicking sound and instrument lights do come on. Might it be a starter issue?

I'm probably not much of a help here, haven't encountered this before.

Is the clicking sound repeating or just 1x or 2x. I believe the ETM will click a couple of times in position II.

Philvolv
05-27-2012, 10:40 AM
The clicking is repeated as long as I turn the key.And btw lights and all electrical components come on.

n00bkiller944
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Try jumpstarting it or test the battery...

Volky_one
05-27-2012, 11:20 AM
The clicking is repeated as long as I turn the key.And btw lights and all electrical components come on.

There is one pigtail wire that connects to the starter, if it is loose car won't start. check and see if that wire came out of connection, you may want to crimp it a little to make it intact.

Philvolv
05-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Try jumpstarting it or test the battery...
Did both.Nothing happened

Philvolv
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I posted wrong. I meant to say I checked battery voltage and tried jump start. Voltage test fine. Jump start did nothing.
Makes me think more it is the starter.Other ideas?
thanks

Philvolv
05-28-2012, 10:25 AM
I did try to start car in neutral and no difference. I also notice whether trying to start in p or n the check engine lights flashes on and off very rapidly with a clicking sound in sync with the flashing.
Help is most appreciated

Philvolv
05-28-2012, 07:43 PM
There is one pigtail wire that connects to the starter, if it is loose car won't start. check and see if that wire came out of connection, you may want to crimp it a little to make it intact.

Where is that pigtail? Have I got to start removing hoses,etc as if I will remove the starter to get to the wire?