PDA

View Full Version : Front and rear silver "skid plates"

saynoto29ers
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi all, I need information on my 2007 xc70 I just bought. What is OEM for the silver trim that is under the front grille and on the back bumper? I have always believed that those were aluminum. Are they actually plastic? Mine are plastic, and I haven't found any previous threads regarding this subject. If they are aluminum, or just available aftermarket (if plastic was OEM) what is the cost of those two pieces? Finally upgraded my '02 xc70 and so far the two vehicles are worlds apart. [thumbup]
Look forward to the collective wisdom of the group.

JRL
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Plastic
About $200 or so each

Why?

Leto Atreides II
05-22-2012, 08:39 PM
They are all plastic. There's no aluminum after market stuff available, unless you get something custom made.

Leto Atreides II
05-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Jim, he's looking for the price of the (non-existent) aluminum replacements, not the price of the plastic ones.

saynoto29ers
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks all for the information. I ask because I purchased the car out of state and the dealership used wood screws and a plate frame from the rear for the front. While tightening the screws, the top of the plastic became completely distorted and wavy. To make matters worse, I guess some states require plates on both ends. Mine does not so I removed the front plate and am now left with two obnoxiously large screw holes and a wavy, distorted top on the plastic silver trim up front. I was merely inquiring about the aluminum because the plastic has had me fooled all along and I thought that they were. I guess brushed aluminum would look better, but as far as usefulness, I understand it would be strictly cosmetic. Btw, how do dealers properly place the front plates in the states that require them up front? It just seems to me that their approach was 1/2 a* to say the least. The holes weren't even level?

saynoto29ers
05-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Also forgot to ask what the two plastic assemblies are on either end of the opening in the plastic front "skid plate". I almost thought they were pitot tubes or something but I did not see anything else attached to them. They almost look like little horns with partial openings at the bottom of the funnel, justifying my obviously tongue in cheek pitot tube assessment.
Thank you again for your time in previous responses.

Again, what are those things?

Obviously just about everything on this car consistently outsmarts me. I can't help it, I am a fireman by trade so I barely walk upright as it is.

acools
05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Both the front and the rear are plastic, they serve no purpose but to look functional.

Your question about 'pitot tubes' had me scratching my head... I think you might have some deer whistles on your car, that were installed by a previous owner. Do you have pictures so we can confirm?

Andres

JRL
05-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Over 50% of the states have front plates.
What you get is a couple of holes! (hopefully drilled properly and the bracket was not screwed on too tight.)
I'm getting someone's OSD plate and will see how that looks in the front. Otherwise, clean it up and screw in a pair of bright silver screws as mine has at the moment

Astro14
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
You've got deer whistles...not uncommon in the Northeast...

They haven't been proven to work...but at $8, or whatever, people install them anyway. My kid brother in Connecticut has had a few deer incidents...some of them with deer whistles on his truck, so I don't know that I would bother...

saynoto29ers
05-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Thx astro, I just figured it out. My Volvo indy is from back east and knew 'em straight away. It's what you get for living in the god forsaken desert. Unless its a snake or scorpion whistle, no other creature, besides myself, would choose this environment.

The screw holes look awful. Crooked and deformed top lip of trim thanks to some aggressive drilling by a dealership employee. I dont know how he didnt strip the holes out. Gotta replace, just looks terrible. Thanks again to all, and JRL is right, $200 on the nose to replace.

JRL
05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
The screw holes all stick out a bit, but a pair nice steel phillips head screws, scerewed down tight looks OK enough [sly]
I'll take a shot of mine and post it later
EDIT:
OK the shot turned out a bit weird because of the flash
The screws almost perfectly match the bumper and are not noticeable in person.
Also I have not polished and waxed the piece since they were put on and the car is dirty

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww329/JRL1194/screws.jpg

saynoto29ers
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
If mine would look like that after, I would be very pleased. The problem with mine is that the lip above both screws has close to 1/4" wave above both. Your top piece is nice and straight. My guy will get a new one and throw it on for $120.
I will just have to say goodbye to the deer whistles :)

Skater
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
The screw holes all stick out a bit, but a pair of nice steel phillips head screws, screwed down tight looks OK enough [sly]
I'll take a shot of mine and post it later
EDIT:
OK the shot turned out a bit weird because of the flash
The screws almost perfectly match the bumper and are not noticeable in person.
Also I have not polished and waxed the piece since they were put on and the car is dirty
First, I fixed your grammar.
Second, those screws look like horrible. Use something a bit more sophisticated, like some allen bolts.

acools
05-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Ooh, boy, I'm going to sit back and watch.

This should be good.

Andres

JRL
05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Second, those screws look like horrible. Use something a bit more sophisticated, like some allen bolts.

Not a grammar fix, that was a word of omission! [sly]

Believe me they look a heck of a lot better in person than in the picture plus it was what I had in the toolbox at the time
I would have to order some nicer screws if I leave it the way it is. I actually asked around if anyone had allen head screws (not an easy screw to find) and almost impossible to order just two.
Machine bolts, yes. Allen head sheet metal screws, no.
It doesn't take a bolt and I'm not going to tap the piece to take a machine screw, not motivated enough.
I could get really nuts and buy bumper plugs which would look the best, but then I need to drill 1/4" holes and a front bracket could never be easily be attached again

EMTDrexler
05-25-2012, 07:06 PM

"those screws look like horrible"????

Astro14
05-26-2012, 04:46 AM
The word "like" is now a part of speech and punctuation, used as a pause, or for emphasis...

Skater
05-26-2012, 06:21 AM
"those screws look like horrible"????
My inner valley girl must have got out.
My original intent was to put "they look like a**" but I thought that was a bit harsh, then I forgot to remove "like".

Skater
05-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Ooh, boy, I'm going to sit back and watch.

This should be good.

Andres

Nope, JRL is an adult and can take as good as he gives.

JRL
05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. :cool:
As was said, I can take it and I can certainly dish it out.

Obviously the best solution is to replace the piece but after doing the rear piece (was all scratched up when I bought it) I don't relish doing that again, (the bumper needs to be removed).

I got the guy who owns "Bumper Plugs" http://www.bumperplugs.com on a mission to find the perfect color match for his bumper plugs. I keep telling him Volvo doesn't have a paint code for these pieces but he's determined....[sly]