PDA

View Full Version : 3 Random Questions

EMTDrexler
05-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I have a few RANDOM questions, 1) My transmissions is very smooth no issues so far "knock on wood" (the engine has been ticking a little more, though thats probally the valves needing adjustment), however when I put the car in reverse sometimes it requires a little more gas then other times in order to get it to back up (even in the same parking spot)... why is this ? 2) the "N" indicator does not work, the car will go into "N" physically but it will register as "R" on the cluster.. why? 3) I was talking to a friend of mine, he does all the major work on our ambulances, he said since I was getting ready to do a transmission flush not to because I do not know the last time it was serviced and if I service it for the first time at 164,xxx miles it may ruin the transmission. Is this trues ? Thank you

RockitShip
05-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Partly true.... a "flush" whereby forced, or pressurized ATF can dislodge large bits in the transmission, possibly causing a clog in a valve passage and can be detrimental.

I was fine doing a "drain & fill" to replace all of my fluid slowly over time (car has 176k now and I replace 3 liters about every 6 mos.)... this is the preferred method for older cars/unknown history. A drain & fill replaces about 3 liters at a time, it's the safest way while ensuring you are replacing the old fluid.

Astro14
05-22-2012, 04:45 AM
While that's true for a flush that's done by a machine in a shop - the "cooler line flush" AKA "The Gibbons Method" on this site will not cause that to happen.

The Gibbons method uses the transmission's own pump - the same pump that is being used all the time, with fluid coming from the pan, just like it does all the time...it won't dislodge anything that won't be dislodged by normal operation.