PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle and starting trouble

eggshell
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Greetings,

I recently got my parent's 01 xc70 passed onto me, with the condition that I need to fix it. It has been having a lot of trouble starting up, though not in the starter . After it started, it would idle rough and eventually stall unless given gas. The last time I drove it, the car started running rough at 2000-2500rpm and idling at around 12-1500rpm. The car burnt through nearly a half tank of gas in the 50 miles it took me to get home. It than wouldn't start at all. I cleaned the ETM and the MAF in hopes that it would fix the problem, but it only started one time and ran a few miles before reverting to it's old ways. I ran a OBD and came back with a few codes, P0102 (MAF error), and a o2 error, and a fuel cap error. The oil cap area on the engine is also very gunked up oil that must have overflowed at some point, though I don't think it is connected to my problem in anyway. The car wants to start up, but it feels as if the air/fuel isn't mixing right or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

n00bkiller944
05-21-2012, 09:10 PM
I would start by putting a new MAF in and putting a new oil cap gasket in (That is where most of the oil is coming from probably) and then checking the coils and plugs to make sure the oil didnt contaminate them!

Astro14
05-22-2012, 04:41 AM
How many miles on the car? I suspect the MAF itself (can't always fix them by cleaning). I also suspect that the flame trap (PCV) is plugged up, while it shouldn't affect running, you'll want to fix that (by replacing all of it) before it creates oil leaks everywhere...

howardc64
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Here is a good sequence to check around the MAF

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=492457&postcount=2

Difficult to diagnose precisely but you have an MAF code so chances are probably good its the MAF. Had one that went bad, no codes and cleaning didn't help. Only replace with Volvo or Bosch. No name aftermarkets didn't work right for me (tried 2)

Wrap a surgeon's rubber glove over the oil filler hole and see if it has suction (clear PCV) or blows up (clogged PCV).