PDA

View Full Version : CEL-Oxygen Sensor? Software upgrade for Transmission CM?Repair Experience

tuberider
05-18-2012, 09:42 AM
2001 v70xc 172,000 miles

CEL had been on intermittently(sp?) for 9 months, then stayed on the last several. My car came due for emissions and I needed to get the CEL light off to pass. Went to autozone and got the codes read with a standard OBII scanner.
They pulled three codes
P0422-Pointing to O2 sensors or cat itself, per Autozone guy
P0456-small leak in evaporative system, per Autozone guy
and
(# unknown) but it was the one for the transmission that occurs when stopping-lagging? Neutral issue

So I had to address all three:
I replaced the rear O2 sensor after reading this forum and other nuggets of info on the web
I went to volvo stealership and got the $84 dollar software upgrade for TCM and they reset the CEL and said I had a code that pointed to a evap leak and that it could be a major pain in the butt to find or as minor as a gas cap replacement. So I said thanks and took it to my mechanic.

My mechanic, who has the vida software for volvo (?) reads the codes to get more specific info and told me I should:
Replace both O2 sensors and
spark plugs
and
that I had a leak in my throttle boot.

Since I just needed to pass inspection (or get a waiver if I spent $200 on any repair) I asked him to just replace the rear or downstream O2 sensor (cost $225 with labor) and reset the codes.

After doing that the CEL is off and there are no codes....
so...
looks like the software upgrade took care of trans issue...
O2 sensor took care of the P0422 issue
and the upstream O2 and Cat are fine. Oh, and the leak in my throttle boot? Not sure but it stopped the CEL from going on for now.

Anyhow, I just wanted to shed some light on my experience with my 2001 v70xc.

JRL
05-18-2012, 10:33 AM
You're luck it worked out on the first try

guyeye
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Awesome. Happy day!