View Full Version : Brake Fluid Swap w/ New Calipers and Lines

Ars Gladius
05-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I am hoping to do a complete brake job this weekend:

Calipers (clear coat over cast iron grey, possibly painting them black (?) - rims are gunmetal)
SS Flex hose
Brembo Rotors
Akebono Pads
Fluid Replacement

I just want to sanity check my course of action for the fluid replacement since I am swapping calipers and lines:

Change fluid.
Bleed new fluid through system with old lines / calipers (so I don't get old fluid in the new parts).
Change calipers and lines to new ones.
Bleed system again.

(I have the Motive Power Bleeder)

Also when the flex lines are removed from the hard lines; how much weeping should I expect? Would plastic wrap and an elastic be enough to keep them from dribbling all over.

Astro14
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
While that will work...I think it's overkill...old fluid will be almost completely flushed out when you do the bleed and flush...unless the old fluid is really dirty, I wouldn't bother....just flush/bleed when the new parts are on...

They always dribble when I do it...cut a finger off a nitrile glove, stuff a tiny bit of paper towel in it...plug the line...that should keep it down to a few drops...otherwise you risk getting air in the master...and that will be tough to get out.

The plastic wrap will probably work too...I've not tried that method...

Ars Gladius
05-17-2012, 03:36 PM
While that will work...I think it's overkill...old fluid will be almost completely flushed out when you do the bleed and flush...unless the old fluid is really dirty, I wouldn't bother....just flush/bleed when the new parts are on...

They always dribble when I do it...cut a finger off a nitrile glove, stuff a tiny bit of paper towel in it...plug the line...that should keep it down to a few drops...otherwise you risk getting air in the master...and that will be tough to get out.

The plastic wrap will probably work too...I've not tried that method...

I should have mentioned it in the post, the reason I was considering flushing through the old parts is that I have no idea of when the fluid was last changed (2nd owner). It looks ok in the reservoir but...I don't want to spoil the new parts. ;)

I've been meaning to get to the brake fluid earlier then this, but winter got in the way.

Thanks for the glove idea Astro, I'll give it a try.