PDA

View Full Version : Nicks in the leather...

AutoMonkey
05-13-2003, 05:15 PM
My brand new XC has a small nick in the leather in the drivers seat (lower back side panel) - about 2-3mm long. It seems that the fabric is a bit thin in this area. I don't honestly know if this was caused by me or whether it happened when I took the car to be smogged (since it's an OSD vehicle, California smog test was necessary).

My questions:
- does anyone have experience of small tears like this turning into larger ones?
- do you think Volvo would replace the panel in question if the leather really does have a thin spot there? - or would this mean replacing the entire seat? Is this likely to be a major pain to do?
- In the event that I decide to just grin and bear it, any suggestions about repair so that it doesn't get worse?

Thanks

AM

wiz
05-13-2003, 06:11 PM
I would communicate this to your dealer right away and ask for a replacement seat (they are not going to repair/replace the panel I wouldn't think).

Do a search here because there have been a number of instances where members have had leather related problems. If the leather is thin then it could be a wear & tear issue, personally I don't think the leather is the highest quality in these cars, it's good at repelling spilled liquids, but that's about all.

barrysharp
05-13-2003, 06:11 PM
My advice is:

1. Log the situation with your dealership immediately. It could be that you missed this small tear during your pickup inspection after shipment from Goteborg!

2. Discuss with your dealership about possible warranty repair option. If they give you the run-around then post a msg or telephone Volvo's New Product hotline and get some advice/direction on how to proceed. 1-800-550-5658 (M-F 9am-7pm EST)

3. Discuss with dealership where to get tear repaired and obtain cost. This might be useful to know before call the Volvo Hotline so that the extent of repair is known when talking with them.

4. A stitch in time saves nine comes to mind -- i.e., get it fixed/repaired now and don't wait. 2-3mm sounds like a very noticeable tear/split. It's also in a place that gets a lot of wear & tear from driver getting in/out of seat.

5. If you think the leather is too thin then mention this to the Hotline people.

Is it in the leather facing or in the non-leather section?

Upon more reflection I'd talk to the Hotline people first so that you're armed with good solid Volvo advice prior to discussing with your dealership. I don't know what your dealership relationship is (good or bad or so-so&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif.

Good luck and post back what results from your inquiries.

This reminds me to give my car a very good examination when I pickup from dealership. If I notice any thin leather areas I'll be sure to mark them up on the shipping inspection sheet.

AutoMonkey
05-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Update: I am now officially po'd with my dealer. Firstly, I live ~25 miles away, so it's a 30-40 minute journey each way and a $5 bridge toll. With this in mind, I called last week and was told to come in anytime and talk to Bill and Ted (or whoever) in the service dept. I stopped by last week when I was in the area on business and was informed by one of these jokers that I needed to see the service manager. He "wasn't available", so I called him to arrange a suitable time: "Sure, no problem - come in Monday".

So, I showed up today and he was busy, so I made an appointment to come back in an hour. When I returned, I was told he'd be down shortly - only to be told 5 minutes later that he was, after all, too busy to see me.

So bottom line is I am indeed getting the runaround. I'll call the number Barry suggested and see if they can help.

Sorry for the rant. What amazes me is how an organization that alledgedly serves customers can generate so much ill will in such a short period of time. When I made the arrangements to buy my XC, I was very happy with everything and would have wholeheartedly recommended this place. Since I picked up my vehicle, however, they have made it clear that they want nothing to do with me - and based on this I would strongly advise potential customers to not do business with them...

AutoMonkey

barrysharp
05-19-2003, 01:44 PM
AM:

This is really too bad. Selling the car and then ignoring you is no way for Volvo to keep "For Life" http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

1. If your receive a dealership rating form from Volvo be sure to state your feelings about the dealership in no uncertain words.

2. By all means call the Volvo Hotline and tell them about the shoddy treatment you're getting from the dealership. It's amazing what internal memos can do to shake up things. Ask the Hotline person how you should proceed in getting the attention of your dealership -- maybe they can call the dealership on your behalf and get things in order for you to have the leather nicks taken care of.

3. If I were in your shoes when at the dealership and being told to come back in one hour and then being told the Service Manager was STILL too busy, I'd have walked right into the man's office and demanded an audience -- I wouldn't have left without seeing him/her.

4. Speak with the dealership's owner if you can and try to get some satisfaction from that. I would hope the owner would make things happen in short order.

I can't ever see my dealership treating me the way you've been treated and it amazes me that there can be such a difference in customer relations from one Volvo dealership to the next. It sounds like your dealership people need to go to some Ford/Volvo classes that instill 'customer loyalty' virtues into their attitudes.

Hmmmmm -- Is your dealership a Volvo-Only shop ?

Call Jason Borsh for advice maybe! I think this might be in order as you're a recent OSD customer and aren't being treated properly -- STIR IT UP.

Try and find out who can bring pressure to bear on the Dealership and contact them -- maybe the Hotline can help you identify the right people to call.

Your experience isn't good to read about http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Your dealership doesn't get it -- Customer Service is what it's all about these days -- their continued business relies on it.

Don't pussy-foot around the issue -- be polite but firm -- you're the CUSTOMER -- you're right and they're wrong if they don't help you with this issue.

1Lieutenant
05-19-2003, 02:14 PM
AutoMonkey,

Unfortunately your experience is not unique.  My 2002 XC developed a small nick in the leather on the driver's near side bolster.  I am extremely careful to never have sharp objects in my pocket, so I attribute this to a weak leather surface.  The dealer would not acknowledge any Volvo culpability and although I asked for the service rep to look at it, I have not heard  from them for over a month.

Admittedly, I have not pushed them.  At least the service manager looked at it and was willing to talk with me.

Steve

Low Tide
05-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the trouble Automonkey...

Perhaps its worth a couple of calls to other area dealers to ask them about the problem with "your" _ Volvo  Dealer.  I would write a complaint letter to the owner and cc Volvo's customer relations department.  Another way to do it is to call a dealer and ask for a follow up survey to be sent to you...

Volvo pays attention to the surveys.  And the dealer will likely get a slap on the wrist if you can get the regional Volvo service reps involved.

Since you have had a couple of issues with this dealer, I think that it is probably time to escalate the issue to a level that gets attention.  Barry's post is dead-on for how I would want the situtation handled.  Just because the service department is not familiar with you- and on a first name basis-does not mean that they shouldn't be....

Fairfax
05-19-2003, 05:44 PM
AutoMonkey, go ahead and rant, we are here to listen.

It sounds like you went to the dealer near me. When I first stopped in to ask about OSD no one knew anything. The salesman, who I suspect had strolled over from the same owners Toyota dealership next door, said that he would find answers to my questions then get back to me. He never did. About five years ago when we began shopping for a truck for my wife, we stopped in to look at the Toyotas in the lot early in the morning. As we were checking out there inventory one of the service guys stopped as he drove in and recommended buying our car elsewhere but to bring it in for service since the service was good there. It seems that management has trained all departments to be on the same level now.

I was lucky enough to find William when I stopped by the Fairfield dealer, it was a joy to work with a professional. I related my storry about the Toyota serviceman to him and he assured me that the service dept was good in Marin. Things must have changed since he left. I hope you will find us a good place to have the cars worked on, keep us posted.

Paul

Low Tide
05-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Without ANY reservation I RECOMMEND Smother's Volvo (Santa Rosa).  Many customers in Marin County and San Francisco buy and service cars at this dealer for a reason....  

As for my experience, They have excellent service writers and a supurb service manager. Whenever I stop in for anything.... whether to chat with sales or to the part department, usually everyone who isn't free walks over to say hi, shake my hand, ask about the "current Volvo" and to chat about life.  

As for sales, no question an easy experience.  No pressure, no car-saleman crap- just the facts and a price they will sell the car for... if your an informed buyer, you will get a very good deal.

My family has been going to the dealer for nearly 20 years. They treated me with courtesy and professionalism from day one when I bought my first Volvo. The labour rates are reasonable for Volvo, and they try to accomodate ANY customer request quickly.  Parts are there overnight- always.  Only once has a loaner not been available.

If you want to try them out, email me and I will give you the names of those I have worked with.