PDA

View Full Version : Shocks?

JGS
04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
How do you know if shocks need to replaced on a 2002 XC70 Volvo? A friend of mine has a 2002 XC70 Volvo and she's wondering whether or not she needs to replace the shocks as they've never been replaced. Also, Volvo tells her that the car has leaking angle drive seals, what does that mean? There are 140 K miles on the car.

JRL
04-29-2012, 01:45 PM
They probably do need to be replaced at 140K miles but why bother doing anything?
A transmission costs as much or more than this entire XC is worth, add that THEN another $500 or so for a pair of front struts, more if the rear shocks also need replacing.

She should dump the car, get whatever she gets for it, and buy a later model XC which will be more reliable to start with

Xheart
04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine has a 2002 XC70 Volvo and she's wondering whether or not she needs to replace the shocks as they've never been replaced. Also, Volvo tells her that the car has leaking angle drive seals, what does that mean? There are 140 K miles on the car.

Try to get USD2000+ for trade-in.

vova
04-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Well it all depends on overall condition of the car and if your friend is emotionally attached to it or nor. also the financial factor needs to be considered too.
If you will decide to invest into the car it would be a priority to fix the leak from angle gear.
Shocks and struts will need to be replaced too..timing belt(if not done at 105K), and A/T fluid..
As other members already mentioned it all will require around 1000 to fix shocks/struts and angle gear..
If you will decide to sell this car try to sell it privately for around $4500-4000 depending on its current condition.
if you have a trusted mechanic who is not charging too much for labor(parts you can obtain online from ipd or other trusted volvo parts retailer) it might be an option to fix it and enjoy it for another 100K
But based on the millage of the car i would estimate that it would need around $2000 to make it reliable vehicle again.
Do your own research and determine what you want to do. Good luck.

JRL
04-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Nice of you to get it right?
A transmission costs 3-4 times than all of these combined!
Why did you say transmission then delete it?