PDA

View Full Version : Audio question

JRL
04-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I'll be the first to admit I know much more about Gen 1s than P2s
I've converted 3 Gen 1 stereos from the standard SC816 to a full Dolby SC901 system

What's involved converting a P2 from an 650 base radio to a Dolby pro Logic 2 HU850?

Besides the many more speakers which I can deal with later, the biggest question I have is do I need to change the dash top or in these cars does the center speaker drop into the standard dash where the grill is now?
I know of course I need an amp and harness

Are there mounting tabs underneath the standard center speaker grill?

matt1122
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Everything I've read from other people doing this to P2s on SS and here suggests that it just drops in. I've also seen one or two people report that the harness was already there, but I have had my doubts and always assumed they perhaps saw a nav prep cable?

JRL
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Adam (AthruC) also says it is there. However, I am asking people who KNOW, not what they think, (nothing personal) as I'm sure some here have upgraded to an 850.

I just bought an 850, amp and harness for a reasonable price and if they have a center speaker they will throw it and the grill in.

As for the door speakers, let's see what it sounds like.
The front doors require new (850) door panels so that's out so if they do need changing I would go aftermarket.
I'm sure though it will be fine. I'm not that critical anymore but the center channel is most important to me. Hearing mid range tones (voice) is harder for me now.

n00bkiller944
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
When I removed my HU 650 to upgrade to an aftermarket headunit their was an extra harness that I'm pretty sure goes to the 850. I may have pics if you are interested...

JRL
05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I'll let you know soon enough
I bought an 850, amp, harness, center speaker (and grill) for just north of $200 shipped [thumbup]
I think that's fair enough!

I was also told that there is a harness for the speaker already there in all the P2s but no one knows if I need software to make that speaker function.
Does anyone know?

JRL
05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
850 is in
Amp harness was already there [thumbup]
Unfortunately they sent me a speaker from hell!:mad:

I have absolutely no idea what it came out of but it is 100% not from any P2 V70, so while the radio seems to work great, no center channel for now [mad2] (and the harness is also there for the CC, just no speaker for now)!

n00bkiller944
05-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Good to know for the future! When I upgraded my headunit I noticed my speakers sounded 100% better. I didn't even end up upgrading them!

06ORXC
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Nice to know it can be done without much of a hassle.
How did U remove the center grill on the dash?
Also, where did U find all those parts for that price & is there any more available?

Thanks

JRL
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Bone tool or a hook tool for the grill (bone tool is better)
For the next, if I told you I would have to kill you!

Sound is 500% better even without the center speaker and with the standard low rent speakers

Ozzie
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I was also told that there is a harness for the speaker already there in all the P2s but no one knows if I need software to make that speaker function.
Does anyone know?

Jim
The center speaker harness was in my 05 XC when I added the HU850, amp and center speaker.

The center speaker does not look like much but it makes a big difference in the quality of the sound. Worth every penny!
David

JRL
05-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I know what it sounds like, I've owned 2 V70Rs remember
(and sold about 20 others)

JRL
05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Well after sending me a center speaker for an XC90 :confused: they finally figured out they had one for a V70 with a charcoal grill, but the grills swap over easily enough so by Wed I should be able to hear vocals again! [thumbup]

(Still working on the subwoofer harness)

JRL
05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Got the right center channel speaker
It's in....YIPPEE [thumbup]
Now I still need to figure out the SUB harness and also figure out what to do with the speakers especially the fronts.
Very different sounding without the DynaAudios, not enough front bass, too "bright"
I'll play with the tone adjustments some more but I think I've already played with them as much as I can!

JRL
06-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, we finally had to make up a harness for the sub............NO SOUND!:(
Now we'll have to fault trace if he did anything wrong.
He forgot his meter so that would be the first step

JRL
06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Got the SUB to WORK! [thumbup]
Fracking Vaids instructions completely fail to mention or illustrate that the pin connector that one wire has to connect to is located BEHIND (hidden) the other connector in the REM.
Found it totally by accident!

Now I need speakers, the base (junk) 650 speakers just don't cut it at all