PDA

View Full Version : Bought a c70 and 3rd gear will not engage

fivetodrive
04-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I just bought this 2001 C70 and found out that 3rd gear was not engaging. I purchased the car for a good price so I thought that it would be easy enough to fix or replace the transmission.

Whoa...

Bad move on my part. I did not know how expensive a tranny rebuild would be on this thing...

Luckily I found this site and the excelent fix that cattlecar posted and was hoping to document this a little better so that others could find the fix a little easier. Hopefully you all agree.

fivetodrive
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Here is the fix from cattlecar!!![thumbup]

I have repaired a "lost" band anchor a few times. First remove air cleaner and tie anything that is in the way back with mechanic's wire.
You remove plug and then get a screw driver, smaller size, with about a 6 inch or a bit longer shaft and you go forward in the hole with of screwdriver up( handle end pushed down). Then lift screwdriver handle and "roll" screwdriver to push the end of band to rear to get it in the opening. I had one I couldn't pull back around like this and had to use a cheaper screwdriver and curve the shaft for a little more forward insertion distance.
The band is a flat steel strap with friction lining bonded to it. The end that bolt anchors is a formed thicker steel piece with a sharply rolled ridge on it with a formed pocket. The end of the infamous bolt sits in the pocket to keep the band end in place. You are trying to catch the pocket and rotate it back to the rear. Once you have it rolled around then push it a bit to the rear and continue to hold it to get oil push out of the servo chamber. The servo will have a fluid fill and you need to displace some fluid to get the end of the band to stay put so you can insert the anchor bolt. IF you release the screwdriver and the band anchor pocket moves back to where bolt want go in then repeat the process and pry harder to get servo released so the band stay put for the bolt to be inserted.
I had one that wouldn't and I did PLAN B.
Plan b is taking the bolt and drilling through the center with a less than 1/4 inch drill, the screwdriver you will use needs to be skinny as the bolt will be slid all the way up the screwdriver. You can't drill the bolt with too big a hole or the end will break off when band is putting load on it. Tap the hole you drilled part way down with an appropriate tap and then find a short screw that fits it. You will seal the hole in bolt with this screw and some sealer when you are done.
Use screwdriver to retrieve and move band end into position and then run the bolt down screwdriver shaft and screw it in while holding the band end with the screwdriver until the bolt is all the way threaded in. Tighten the bolt and then apply silicone sealer to underside of the the small plug bolt head and install it. If you have a copper washer assortment the small plug bolt could be sealed with an appropriate copper seal washer.

You may have to use a piece of rigid wire bent to do this task if the screwdriver isn't working for you.

Pictures of the band with the end brackets.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5362043358_63f1d04e14.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/5362058858_56de189cc7.jpg

fivetodrive
04-27-2012, 09:50 AM
And the great addition and pictures from sailboats!

I'm just here to say thanks to Cattlecar for the procedures to "lasso" a "lost" band clamp. I had to employ his "Plan B" procedures but they worked and worked brilliantly. For almost two years I've been driving that car around in manual mode carefully skipping over third gear which was a huge pain in the rear. After only a couple of hours effort I took the car out last night and enjoyed a "normal" driving experience. Thanks Cattlecar for helping me dodge a multiple thousand dollar transmission replacement. [thumbup]

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/fivetodrive/Volvo/Underside20of20bolt.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/fivetodrive/Volvo/Top20of20Bolt.jpg

fivetodrive
04-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Well I drilled and tapped the bolt this weekend with the number 7 drill bit and tapped it for a 1/4 20 bolt.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/fivetodrive/Volvo/IMAG0126.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/fivetodrive/Volvo/IMAG0127.jpg

Then I took a nail and bent it slightly on the tip side, just enough so that I could get it through the hole in the bolt, by twisting it through the threads, I then started the 27mm bolt which installed with no resistance until I just touched the band. Here is a picture with the slight bend in the nail. I bent the head side of the nail so I knew which direction the point was on the other side of the bolt.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/fivetodrive/Volvo/IMAG0128.jpg

At this point I used the slight bend in the nail to push the band back into place so that the bolt would go all the way in and catch the band, I could feel the resistance with the nail and when I had the nail pointed to the firewall I started to tighten the bolt.

At this point I tightened the bolt with the wrench, and felt some slight resistance for about an 1/8 turn and could feel the band snap into place and release the resistance on the 27mm bolt and then I was able to tighten the nut down to flush on the case with my fingers.

I then torqued the bolt and put in the 1/4 20 bolt and put the car back together.

Sure enough I had third gear!!!

Astro14
05-01-2012, 10:05 AM
That's a great story! I love reading about success... This case in particular where a few hours work saved you thousands because of Cattlecar's experience...

Well done!

JRL
05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Wouldn't it be interesting to mention that
1: this is the wrong website for this car and
2: what year car and TRANSMISSION does this C70 have.......[sly]

Leto Atreides II
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I think he just missed the X in XC70.

fivetodrive
05-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I didnt feel that this was the wrong forum since the transmission is an asin warner 55-50 and most of the things that you guys help others with are the same. Such as the valve body issues and even the ETM issues.

So I would say that it is the right forum. All I was hoping to do was make it easier to find the AMAZING and SIMPLE fix that cattlecar posted in a multipage thread. That way we could help others with a very inexpensive fix for something that directly relates to the XC70 and any other vehicles like the C70 with the A/W 55-50 with a slipped 3rd gear.

Wouldn't it be interesting to mention that
1: this is the wrong website for this car and
2: what year car and TRANSMISSION does this C70 have.......[sly]

DYZ
05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm with you. In fact I think this thread should be made sticky or at least be put in the FAQ so that ppl can easily find out that there is indeed a simple solution.

DYZ

fiatmike
02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Here is the fix from cattlecar!!![thumbup]

I'll add I did this fix as well on a used 2002 S60 I purchased for my daughter wholesale. Thank you Cattlecar and Sailsboats for the information! The only grief I had was tring to find a 1/4-20-3/4 aluminum bolt to stay off corrosion mixing metals and the band in my model moved to the edge of the Anchor Bolt Band Plate and locked into position slightly off center. I mean, no amount of force or rattling would release it to center in the hole. It was off center to the hole as well toward engine side. I finally got it to release by starting the car and shifting between neutral and third. I did this twice and I was able to get the hole centered with pressure but it wouldn't stay. I tried again to see if I could get it far enough to avoid plan B. didn't work. I used Plan B. Like Sailsboats mentioned, you might feel that resistance until the band shifts completely under the bolt correctly.

I then took it to my regular transmission shop to change the trans oil as it looked a bit discolored. He complimented the ingenuity of this repair. Overhaul time is 21 hours. I spent about 4 hours on two attempts not counting the 3 hours to find my aluminum bolt in rural areas on a weekend.

Drives out perfect for a US$1600 gamble. I was prepared to buy a used transmission for $1500 to install if it failed but saved a lot of money finding this!

iksana12
02-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Hello Guys , i have the same problem with my XC70 . It engages first and second gear but when switching to third the engine is reeving high without gear... Where should i find this bolt ?
I cant understand . Thank you

JRL
02-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Not the same problem

Astro14
02-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Hello Guys , i have the same problem with my XC70 . It engages first and second gear but when switching to third the engine is reeving high without gear... Where should i find this bolt ?
I cant understand . Thank you

How long have you owned the car?

Was it this way when you bought it?