PDA

View Full Version : What Weight Synthetic Motor Oil

BigBill
04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi All Great site just bought my third Volvo a beautiful low miles 2007 XC70 60000 miles and am switching to synthetic motor oil arleady did the mobil 3309 thing to the trans whats the best engine oil for these??

06ORXC
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Welcome,

I run M1 0w/40 all year long on both of my cars since new.

sjonnie
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi All Great site just bought my third Volvo a beautiful low miles 2007 XC70 60000 miles and am switching to synthetic motor oil arleady did the mobil 3309 thing to the trans whats the best engine oil for these??
Castrol 0W30 if you can get it. I currently use Mobil1 0W30 winter / Mobil1 0W40 summer on 5K mi intervals.

richardglund
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I use Shell Rotella, 5W40. Frankly, who knows if it's any good?:)

JRL
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Neither is recommended
I would use 10 x 30
If you live in a very cold winter climate then switch to 5 w 30 for the winter.

For those of you using 0 w whatever weight, this is not a good thing to do. This engine is not rated for that unless you live in the Arctic all year around! :eek:, under 32 degrees farenheit (0 cent.) all day, all night.

sparkplug
04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Thats how rumors get started

Ars Gladius
04-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Neither is recommended
I would use 10 x 30

For those of you using 0 w whatever weight, this is not a good thing to do. This engine is not rated for that unless you live in the Arctic all year around! :eek:, under 32 degrees farenheit (0 cent.) all day, all night.

JRL with all due respect, by your comment, you don't understand oil weights in relation to the YwX labeling.

There is nothing wrong with a synthetic 0WX oil provided that the X is the correct weight for the car at operating temperature. In reality 0WX oils actually protect your engine better then a 5WX or 10WX oil when 'cold' (aka not at operating temperature) which is were most wear happens.

The full explanation is quite long, I urge anyone who is interested to go through Motor Oil 101 (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/) at Bob is the Oil Guy for the full details.

Several people run Mobil 1 0W40 (a light 40w), German made Castrol 0W30 (a heavy 30W) is also a very good choice.

Ocean Racer
04-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I use Penrite HPR10 10w50 full synthetic.
5.2L does the full change with filter.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/14912.jpg

sjonnie
04-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Neither is recommended
I would use 10 x 30
Multi-weight oil labelling can be confusing, 0W30 refers to an oil which has properties of a 0 weight viscosity oil when cold and 30 weight viscosity oil when hot. Those magical properties are not available in a dino or synthetic blend, only synthetic oils, and car manufacturers seem reluctant to say you must use a synthetic oil

5W30 or 10W30 are both available as dino oils or synthetic blends. 10W30 is recommended over 5W30 at high temps as it contains less viscosity modifiers which have a tendency to break down at higher temp. Synthetic oils do not contain viscosity modifiers so don't suffer from the same temperature breakdown problems as dino / synthetic blend oils.

0W oils gives you much better cold-start protection due to lower viscosity when cold, operating viscosity is the same. The reason some people opt to use a 40W oil during summer months is because the turbo on this car can get very hot, particularly when it is 100 degrees out, and the 40W oil maintains better viscosity at high temps, thereby protecting your turbo (or so the theory goes). Quite a few turbo vehicles recommend 40W oils. The drawback is the oil is slightly more viscous at normal temps and so reduces gas mileage marginally.

stupidloose
04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
I run AMSOIL 5w 30. http://www.prweb.com/releases/AMSOIL/Motor-Oil/prweb4735304.htm
I also use their Tranny oil as well. They clearly list the 3309# on the back.

n00bkiller944
04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I run mobil 1 10w30 year round... sometimes 5w30 if I buy the wrong box at costco lol

KB3MMX
04-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I run AMSOIL 5w 30. http://www.prweb.com/releases/AMSOIL/Motor-Oil/prweb4735304.htm
I also use their Tranny oil as well. They clearly list the 3309# on the back.

I'm also running Amsoil synthetics on my 03' XC70 now.

I have their 5W-40 in the engine now but next change will probably be their 5W-30 Signature series oil. I noticed a little bump in MPG so far too which is surprising.

As a side note, the Amsoil in the trans made a immediate improvement in the shifting and trans engagement speed from neutral.

stupidloose
04-20-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm also running Amsoil synthetics on my 03' XC70 now.

I have their 5W-40 in the engine now but next change will probably be their 5W-30 Signature series oil. I noticed a little bump in MPG so far too which is surprising.

As a side note, the Amsoil in the trans made a immediate improvement in the shifting and trans engagement speed from neutral.

KB3MMX, What are you doing about your gear boxes? I was thinking of switching my angle gear box over to Amsoils Syncro mesh gear oil. Any thoughts?

06ORXC
04-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Mobil 1 0w/40 is also a factory filled oil from 0 miles in these vehicles also:

Aston Martin, Cadillac CTSV, Nissan GT-R, MB, MB-AMG, Bmw, Porsche, Vw, Audi Opel, Fiat

[thumbup]

MacNoob
04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Mobil 1 0w/40 is also a factory filled oil from 0 miles in these vehicles also:

Aston Martin, Cadillac CTSV, Nissan GT-R, MB, MB-AMG, Bmw, Porsche, Vw, Audi Opel, Fiat

[thumbup]

You forgot SAAB! (R.I.P.)

06ORXC
04-20-2012, 10:52 AM
You forgot SAAB! (R.I.P.)

I know, I didn't want to hurt anybodies feelings about a dead brand:D

[thumbup]

Astro14
04-20-2012, 02:11 PM
You can see what I run.

The M1 0W40 is one of the best oils out there for this car, and at 13.5 CsT at 100C, it's not much above a 30 WT, but performs in both high heat and arctic cold, as well as lasting a long time. I posted a Used Oil Analysis for my car on this forum a while ago, and the M1 performed very well. No doubt that many of the other choices listed below would be excellent as well.

You shouldn't buy into the myth that 0W30 is somehow "lighter" than 10W30...that was true in the 70s...but both oils have to be within the viscosity range of a 30 WT when they are at operating temperature ( 100 C ) in order to be labeled a -30 in the first place.

In fact, the Castrol 0W30 is higher viscosity at operating temperature than Mobil ONE 10W30 and many other 10W30 synthetics. I'll say that again, the Castrol 0W30 is a significantly higher viscosity ( 12.2 CsT ) at the engine's operating temperature than most 10W30 oils ( 10.1 CsT for the Mobil 1 10W30).

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.aspx

See you on BITOG Ars Gladius!

[thumbup]

KB3MMX
05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
KB3MMX, What are you doing about your gear boxes? I was thinking of switching my angle gear box over to Amsoils Syncro mesh gear oil. Any thoughts?

Nothing yet, the dealer wouldn't tell me what weight oil it is, they claim to never change it. Does it call for synchromesh fluid?

I'd like to change all the fluids to Amsoil. So far the transmission is shifting MUCH better with their ATF in it...

billr99
05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Nothing yet, the dealer wouldn't tell me what weight oil it is, they claim to never change it. Does it call for synchromesh fluid?

I'd like to change all the fluids to Amsoil. So far the transmission is shifting MUCH better with their ATF in it...

You're kidding. The weight is on the bottle even if it's the official Volvo angle gear elixir. Jeez, what is it with these dealer folks?

What you want for angle gear lube is GL-5, 75w90. This is a synthetic spec by definition and is what is on the Volvo elixir bottle BTW.

Cheers,

Bill

Astro14
05-04-2012, 06:00 AM
You're right Bill - and the fact that the dealer never changes it...well...the dealer only has to get the car through the warranty period...so there's no maintenance interval. But 60K is a reasonable number for a synthetic gear lube. I use the Mobil ONE 75W90, it' $10.99/QT at my local auto parts store, about a third the price of the angle gear lube that the dealer sells...and I am not sure the dealer's product is synthetic...it didn't say so on the bottle that I bought...crazy price does not equal synthetic...it's just a crazy price...

AMSOIL 75W90 would be a fine choice for the angle gear, just don't overfill it...

billr99
05-04-2012, 06:15 AM
You're right Bill - and the fact that the dealer never changes it...well...the dealer only has to get the car through the warranty period...so there's no maintenance interval. But 60K is a reasonable number for a synthetic gear lube. I use the Mobil ONE 75W90, it' $10.99/QT at my local auto parts store, about a third the price of the angle gear lube that the dealer sells...and I am not sure the dealer's product is synthetic...it didn't say so on the bottle that I bought...crazy price does not equal synthetic...it's just a crazy price...

AMSOIL 75W90 would be a fine choice for the angle gear, just don't overfill it...

It was my understanding that the GL-5 spec could only be addressed by a synoil. However, after going back to where I thought I read that, it doesn't specify; but I have only ever seen it on synoil products. Not to say that is any kind of definitive.

Cheers,

Bill

MacNoob
05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
GL-5 most definitely does not mean it's synthetic, there's lots of mineral GL-5s out there. Maybe the 75W90 is only available in synth.

I own a car that wants GL-4 (NOT GL-5) - try finding that stuff sometime. I stock up when I find it.

Astro14
05-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Agreed - seen plenty of GL-5 80W90s that were conventional. My understanding of GL-5 was the EP additives (moly whatever to prevent scuffing under extreme pressure)...but the only GL-5 75W90 I've seen has been synthetic...I think the larger viscosity range is more likely satisfied by synthetic...

KB3MMX
05-06-2012, 03:45 AM
You're kidding. The weight is on the bottle even if it's the official Volvo angle gear elixir. Jeez, what is it with these dealer folks?

What you want for angle gear lube is GL-5, 75w90. This is a synthetic spec by definition and is what is on the Volvo elixir bottle BTW.

Cheers,

Bill

I wish I was kidding, lol.

Thanks for the info!