PDA

View Full Version : xenon headlight conversion

KB3MMX
04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Is it possible to convert a halogen equipped XC70 to a HID Xenon headlight system?
Was it available as a option on any years that can be swapped in?

If so, how would the DRL system work?

I'm so used to the great lighting from the HID lights on my other vehicle, I'd like to change the lights on the XC to get rid of the dumpy yellow halogen lighting.

Thanks! [thumbup]

vova
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
There was same question a couple of times before. Try "search".
If i remember correctly it is possible but parts are costly, in addition to that you will need to visit dealer for software changes.
I doubt that it is worth spending money unless you have available donor salvage car...

KB3MMX
04-16-2012, 11:05 PM
OK.

I found info on the DDM aftermarket H7 HID kit and ordered one...their price is great!

vova
04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
I had the same staff on my car..yes price was great,looks good too..but it does not perform well comparing to the stock lights. So i put back my old halogen light.
hope you will like your HID kit on your car.
one advice- do not drill the headlight back caps..use duct tape for a one-two days so you have a chance to drive a car in night time and see the difference..
so in case you will not like HID lights you will be able to put all back together and not have a foggy/moist headlamps after(learn from my mistake :mad:)

XC70XC
04-17-2012, 06:13 PM
I had the same staff on my car..yes price was great,looks good too..but it does not perform well comparing to the stock lights. So i put back my old halogen light.
one advice- do not drill the headlight back caps..use duct tape for a one-two days so you have a chance to drive a car in night time and see the difference..
so in case you will not like HID lights you will be able to put all back together and not have a foggy/moist headlamps after(learn from my mistake :mad:)

Agreed that nothing beats the factory HID/Xenon set. I was contemplating putting in a HID set from Philips which was mentioned to be the OE supplier to Volvo too. In the end, decided to replace the standard halogen bulbs to Philips Crystal Vision 4300K. Now looking great and so much whiter and brighter. Even the fogs and the small 5W bulbs are Crystal Vision 4300K. Of course can't beat the factory HID/Xenon set but comparing what I spent, it is great. The spare 5W bulbs was placed into the rear licence plate lights.

KB3MMX
04-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Do you know if you can buy the plastic rear covers for the headlights from the dealer:confused:

vova
04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
yes you can. special order part.

Sometimes salvage yards could have them since many headlight are damaged and they are happy to sell you for a couple $ those caps.( i paid $10 for 2 from salvage yard)

Ocean Racer
04-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Do you know if you can buy the plastic rear covers for the headlights from the dealer:confused:
Ask your dealer. [thumbup]

KB3MMX
04-18-2012, 09:07 PM
yes you can. special order part.

Sometimes salvage yards could have them since many headlight are damaged and they are happy to sell you for a couple $ those caps.( i paid $10 for 2 from salvage yard)

Ok, thanks vova.
I figured you would know since you went down that road.:D

OK. Thanks man.

XC70XC
04-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Check with your dealer first. You may be surprised at the cost. I got an interior trim part from the dealer at 50 % less than what the wreckers would have charge me for it. Good thing the wreckers one is different color.

KB3MMX
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Check with your dealer first. You may be surprised at the cost. I got an interior trim part from the dealer at 50 % less than what the wreckers would have charge me for it. Good thing the wreckers one is different color.

Wow, that's surprising! Good deal!